Beef Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Slow

I'm here for the food...
I'm a rookie when it comes to smoking, only been doing it about two years and not as often as I would like. I love it but time and all that, you know.

So far I have done pork shoulder probably 25 times and to my luck they have all come out great, probably an equal number of chickens, half a dozen turkeys (my favorite), pork ribs and even a couple hams (to my surprise turned out really well). I'm not so bold as to say I've got these meats "down" but they are consistently good to my standards ( which could be low, who knows, I like it! :) ).

But that all means jack because my beef ribs are horrible. I mean really bad. I've done four racks now and they are all mega salty, each time using a different rub. The off the shelf rubs I have been using for my pork, chicken and turkey are just too dang salty it seems for beef ribs or I'm using entirely too much of it. I use the same amount of the same brand of rub on pork ribs and they turn out fantastic. I digress.

So the obvious solution is to make my own rub and use a lot less salt for beef, as apparently it doesn't lend well like the other meats. So where do I start for making a good beef rub? I don't want any family secrets, just a good "base" that I can play with. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Take care,

Paul

it could be because they are enhanced, that is injected with a solution that probably has salt in it, check the label & see.

I agree with sluggo... check to see if they are enhanced first... If not... try something like 1/4 cup each of salt, black pepper, papricka, granulated garlic, 1/4 cup cayenne,

it's gonna be spicey rub, but it is a start.... you could also add turbinado sugar (the more you add will balance out the spiceyness) could add chili powder, granulated onion, or even toss in a little ground coffee

finish with a sauce that works well with beef, if you want to go the commercial route, use cattlemans original... it can be doctored with honey for sweeet, or tabasco chipotle sauce for more spice/smokey flavor....

All else fails.... order some Dizzy Pig Cow lick Steak rub and have at it!

For beef, a good starting point would be just salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Keep it simple and build on that! Like you said in your post, "I like it"....thats all that matters! Enjoy and keep us posted!

I agree with Nick. Treat the ribs with just a hit of what you would want on a steak. ... If the texture of the finished product is what you want... then add on mo flava with other spices. (if needed)

Helen_Paradise said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":gylvmnob]I use Santa Maria Style rubs for beef ribs and it works great!

I second this and use the same.[/quote:gylvmnob]
Well than I'm going to try that next time. Helen, do you mix your own or use a store bought?

Helen_Paradise said:
http://www.susieqbrand.com/cart.php?m=p ... il&c=1&p=7[/url]

Oh, I believe the guy who runs TVWB has a recipe posted somewhere ;) I like the salt content in Susie's though.[/quote:1k848d08]

Thanks Helen, I'm going to order some.

Back
Top Bottom