Beef Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay I just rubbed down my beef ribs for tomorrows dinner. Before they go on the smoker tomorrow, I'll get a few pics. This bad boys are pretty big! 8 lbs all together!

Okay....here's the first pics. Had them on for 4 hours and I foiled and put back on the smoker. Gonna leave them for 1 - 1 1/2 more hours and then 1/2 hour out of foil...then dinner time!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nprochilo ... CBSxzZnxeA

On edit, the ribs were fine...... meaty & juicy! Left them dry and had sauce on the side, my own and just tried Stubbs Original. Stubbs was pretty good, not sweet, just a hint of vinegar. Cook went like this 4 hours on smoker, 1 1/2 hours in foil on smoker, 1 hour back on smoker without foil. Like I said, they tasted great, but I still prefer pork!

Yeah, it works out pretty good under that little porch. Blocks the wind from 2 sides, roof over head, lights and electric and water.

That's a pretty small house you have there with lots of property....ever think about expanding?

Great job Nick, and a great pictorial!

I haven't tried beef ribs yet in my WSM.

You said you still prefer pork ribs ... why? They look darn good to me.... but I feel the same way about pork butt over chuck roll. Is it the meat characteristics? Do you think it's because pork is what you are used to? Do you think your opinion might change with a beef rib specific rub/sauce and method combo?

Shawn White said:
Great job Nick, and a great pictorial!

I haven't tried beef ribs yet in my WSM.

You said you still prefer pork ribs ... why? They look darn good to me.... but I feel the same way about pork butt over chuck roll. Is it the meat characteristics? Do you think it's because pork is what you are used to? Do you think your opinion might change with a beef rib specific rub/sauce and method combo?

Pretty much yes to the above! I also feel the same about butt over CR. The beef was a little tougher than pork but I think a little longer on the cook could help fix that. I did foil them for about 1 1/2 hours, would go 2+ hours next time with that. I pulled the membrane off the back but the attachment point of meat to bone was tough. I just cut the meat with a knife between the bone and the meat. Very big piece of meat. And also yes to pork is what I'm used to. My mind thinks ribs and pork is what comes to mind. Now tonight for dinner I re-heated 2 ribs up in a foil pan with Stubbs BBQ sauce and was pretty impressed with the results. I'm sure with a little playing around with rubs, cook times and sauce I could really get into these also. It could be a nice change from pork all the time, and hey at $1.50 per pound, you can't really go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom