Beef, it's what's for dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I found these Excel USDA Choice Beef Ribs at Safeway yesterday in Cryovac frozen for $1.49lb. They don't appear to be shiners and look meaty. I rubbed those down with Wolfe Rub Bold. I also have a 7lb brisket flat rubbed down with Wolfe Rub Bold as well. The Primo is chugging along with Cowboy Lump and Hickory! :D

Larry

What do you think of the Cowboy lump? I've heard bad about it but it is one of two brands avcailable locally. I can get this.

Or Cowboy. Cowboy costs about half the other stuff but the Natural Hardwood Lump works great and is highly rated at Naked Whiz. And the BGE doesn't use much.

Griff said:
Larry

What do you think of the Cowboy lump? I've heard bad about it but it is one of two brands avcailable locally. I can get this.

Or Cowboy. Cowboy costs about half the other stuff but the Natural Hardwood Lump works great and is highly rated at Naked Whiz. And the BGE doesn't use much.

Griff I heard alot of bad stuff about it too, but haven't experienced it yet. It is all made from furniture scrap (unfinished), it's nice uniform pieces and lasts a long time with barely any ash. I would recommend it for sure. One I would not recommend is the Barbecues Galore lump, the two bags I had varied in size from the size of a quarter up to this!

Griff, for a while I used cowboy and had decent luck, then it got more inconsistent from bag to bag. Large unburned pieces and some bags that wouldnt burn if you used a flame thrower. If its what you can get, why not try a bag and see how it works. i wont go back..but that could just be my stubborn nature. :D

I still use Kingsford in my WSM, mainly because I've done it for years and it is consistent. After the first 45 - 60 minutes Kingsford in the WSM is pretty much leave it and forget it. I got a BGE for Christmas and that's what I've using the lump in. It's been an interesting learning experience.

Sure they do if not take the short drive to houston and get you some. OO7

How is the repairs to the Da Bayou coming.

Ps they sell it at lowes.

Missing Link. :LOL:

Everything turned out great! Meatiest beef ribs I've had in a long time! This is the second brisket on the Primo that I have NOT foiled and I'm really happy with the results. I also did not foil the beef ribs, which I always do. Both turned out great. The one thing that baffles the crap out of me is I can't get a smoke ring when cooking on the oval. I know you can't taste it, but it still looks pretty. I put the meat on cold straight out of the fridge and bring the cooker up to temp slowly. I just cannot get any makings of a decent smoke ring on the oval as I could on the WSM. The difference in charcoal does make a difference, but I see folks cooking on the identical cooker I am and they have a great smoke ring. I'll keep trying!! Other than that another fantastic easy cook on the Primo!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom