beef back ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
On Monday, shortly after we got back from our trip to CA and AZ, I went to the store to get milk and stuff, and they had one package of beef back ribs, 2.30 lb @ $2.49/lb, so I grabbed it. I've been meaning to try beef ribs for a long time, I just never see them.

I stripped off the bone-side membrane, wetted them down with Worcestershire and rubbed with Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Steak Rub (no sugar). The ribs were on the WSM for about 3 1/2 hrs @ ~240° before I sauced them. I used an unusual smoke mix, hickory plus the mesquite wood that's in the KF charcoal my neighbor gave me. (Gotta use free charcoal sometime.) I sauced with Head Country original, which I like because of its good balance for a ketchup-based sauce (not too- anything; I don't like sticky-sweet sauces).

The ribs were real good. We also had acorn squash and tomatoes fresh from the garden. (We didn't plant the squash, the vine just appeared and we left it to see what it'd be. :eek: ) I think the ribs would have been okay with as much as another half hour in the smoker, but they were very tender and juicy. And flavorful. :D

--John

Great lookin bones and meaty too. Those fresh veggies from the garden look good as well. Thanks for sharing and now I have a craving for beef ribs. :)

Good job. The few times I've tried them, they were over cooked. How did you determine when they were ready :?: and did you foil them :?: :?:

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Bbq Bubba":nh119apl]Them are some of the meatiest beef ribs i've ever seen! :shock:

me too....I'd love to get my hands on a rack like that!

;)[/quote:nh119apl]

Great job UN, Thats what they sell down here.

Cappo cut em yourself... BUY a whole bone in ribeye section

big dude said:
Good job. The few times I've tried them, they were over cooked. How did you determine when they were ready :?: and did you foil them :?: :?:
I went by pull-back on the bone and the feel when I inserted a fork. No foil. I think they'd have been overcooked if I'd gone by the bone test like I use on pork spares.

--John

Back
Top Bottom