Bear Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Okay, lets keep this one civil. Anyone ever cook bear (meat) roast? A guy at work gave me a bear roast to smoke and bring into work. Anyone have any experiance with them? GRIFF? Any Great White North fellers?

Not sure if it is a sow or male, not sure how it was dressed. The guy who gave it to me is one hunting fool so should know what he was doing. He did suggest that I soak it in salt water over night before cooking it. It does have a lot of fat on it. Looks real marbeled.

no experience with bear here ... but I'm wondering, do you know what cut it is? It might help others give suggestions as to what to do with it.

Shawn White said:
no experience with bear here ... but I'm wondering, do you know what cut it is? It might help others give suggestions as to what to do with it.

Nope, it just says bear roast.

I've actually only had limited experience with bear. I'm assuming you have a black bear killed in the fall and it hasn't been eating fish all summer. Smell it. If it smells like fish, feed it to your dog if he'll eat it. The bear I've eaten was on a moose hunting trip with my brother. We were on the Yukon River about 20 miles down river from Kaltag. My brother said to shoot a black bear if we saw one because his in-laws (his wife is Athabaskan) like to eat fall bear. We killed a small two year old and proceeded to roast a hind quarter over a camp fire. But I don't remember much of what it tasted like on account of the alcohol involved. We were camped on the bank of the Yukon River, had two moose hanging, the Northern Lights were blazin', and we had a lot of whiskey.

Griff

Griff said:
I've actually only had limited experience with bear. I'm assuming you have a black bear killed in the fall and it hasn't been eating fish all summer. Smell it. If it smells like fish, feed it to your dog if he'll eat it. The bear I've eaten was on a moose hunting trip with my brother. We were on the Yukon River about 20 miles down river from Kaltag. My brother said to shoot a black bear if we saw one because his in-laws (his wife is Athabaskan) like to eat fall bear. We killed a small two year old and proceeded to roast a hind quarter over a camp fire. But I don't remember much of what it tasted like on account of the alcohol involved. We were camped on the bank of the Yukon River, had two moose hanging, the Northern Lights were blazin', and we had a lot of whiskey.

Griff
Thats a great story Griff...Basically Bill get your buddy drunk good time, good friends and booze..it won't matter what it tastes like... :D

Griff said:

Griff
Awesome!!! :D

Marinade for BTTG Bear Roast:

Ingredients:

1 750 Ltr bottle of Sour Mash
Ice
Coke

Put Bear roast in nonreactive vessel. Pour as many Jack Cokes as you can over said roast taking care to be sloppy. Smoke overnight while you sleep it off. Foil after the 2nd rolf. Enjoy.

wittdog said:
Griff said:

Griff
Thats a great story Griff...Basically Bill get your buddy drunk good time, good friends and booze..it won't matter what it tastes like... :D

Even if you are eating bear ass. :shock:

deputynrc said:
I just did one in the crock pot and it turned out great. Soak it in buttermilk for 24 hours and then a second marinade (see below) for 8 hours. This draws all of the gamey taste out. I did mine in crockpot but smoking will be good too.

Black Bear Marinade
1 cup dry red wine (cheapest)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 sliced carrot
1 tbs.. dried tarragon, may want to half this as tarragon is strong salt and pepper adjust to your own taste.

***NOTE- After I shot my bear and old hunter told me the "secret recipe" for bear is as follows

Marinate in favorite Marinade for 5-7 days.
Place in crock pot and cook on low for 30 hours with a brick on top to hold meat down. (YES 30 Hours he said).
When done pull meat and brick out. The next step is very critical he said.

"THROW AWAY BEAR ROAST AND EAT THE BRICK"
:LOL:
Now that's what I'm talking about! :D
I seem to remember that recipe for some other wild game ;)
At least the brick part :shock:
Thanks for the marinade 8)

deputynrc said:
I just did one in the crock pot and it turned out great. Soak it in buttermilk for 24 hours and then a second marinade (see below) for 8 hours. This draws all of the gamey taste out. I did mine in crockpot but smoking will be good too.

Black Bear Marinade
1 cup dry red wine (cheapest)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 sliced carrot
1 tbs.. dried tarragon, may want to half this as tarragon is strong salt and pepper adjust to your own taste.

***NOTE- After I shot my bear and old hunter told me the "secret recipe" for bear is as follows

Marinate in favorite Marinade for 5-7 days.
Place in crock pot and cook on low for 30 hours with a brick on top to hold meat down. (YES 30 Hours he said).
When done pull meat and brick out. The next step is very critical he said.

"THROW AWAY BEAR ROAST AND EAT THE BRICK"
:LOL:
:damnfunny :damnfunny :damnfunny

Nope, havent cooked it yet. Every time I crank up the smoker its been full. I will try to do it soon, and yes I will do pics. Thanks for the recipie Griff. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom