BBQ USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone else have BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen? I picked it up this weekend, it's well worth the $20. It has over 450 recipes and definitions of all the different types of BBQ styles and methods of cooking.

IMHO it is his best book The bible is great but has alot of exotic ingredients

Larry, BBQ USA is my favorite Raichlen book. In addition to the great recipes, I particularly enjoy the BBQ history that is in this book. Great sidebars and articles on BBQ Joints, restaurants, and pioneers of BBQ.

A perfect blending of the modern and "traditional" methods of BBQ.

Check out Raichlen's show on PBS on Saturday's. All of this years shows highlight receipes from the BBQ USA book. Last week he did Oklahoma Style Brisket and also cooked a rotisserie pork shoulder. I'm sure Susan caught that show, wherever she is.

Sledneck said:
IMHO it is his best book The bible is great but has alot of exotic ingredients

It's the only one of his books I have. Lots of great recipes!

Well I guess I have to go a side from the "normal" here. It is a well written book and does contain many good recipes. I think it focuses a little bit too much on the commercial side of barbecue. Hay the guy is a genius when it comes to business. Would you pay 2,351.90 for a single occupancy to attend BBQ-U school at the Greenbriar? I certainly would not. For what? I just can't but help thinking this is a BBQ yuppie school for those who have not a clue of what bbq is or should be.Now lets be honest, If you went there,Would you come home with more knowledge than you have now? Yes you would! You might say " that was a waste of 2500 bucks! " I personally think C.Clark "Smoky" Hale said it best " The best barbecue in the world is cooked in somebody's backyard: not in restaurants - not in contests" (The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual) How many times have you gone out to eat and ordered a steak, Come to find out when they serve it to you, You look at it and think hell, I can do better at home. That's the beauty of his books. He can make any one feel like a real barbecue god. I would hope that most of the people that have a clue would not be sucked in by Steven Raichlen. I think of as " If you have a reputation of being a early riser, You can sleep till noon"

I haven't read that book...I would not pay $2500 to go to any class for Que when I can get all the info I need right here!! :!: All these guys are good at what they do...I would rather take advice from Steve on Que than Bobby Flay!

This thread should not take on a anti-Flay flavor...keep it on the book please!! :(

I am going to paul kirks class in june and its only $200. I think just hanging with a bunch of que heads can be a wealth of info

Don't even get me started on Flay. I had the pleasure of meeting Jack McDavid (Jacks Fire House) Know what? He parboils his ribs! Yuck! He does cook with wood. A small consolation to boiled ribs. But he sells a ton of them.

I have eaten at his Mesa Grill restaurant in NYC and the food was awesome. I think its his personality that gets most people.

Sledneck said:
I am going to paul kirks class in june and its only $200. I think just hanging with a bunch of que heads can be a wealth of info

$200 is fine and I think you will get a lot of knowledge from that kind of class...$2500 is a little much for me :!:

For $200 he also supplies all the meat. As far as Raichlens seminar, i wouldnt spend that kind of money but it also at a resort and all the amenities are included

Hey Pig,

You related to Ludichris by any chance?. I think most of the people on this board "have a clue" as you put it and still enjoy or can enjoy Raichlen's books. These are not mutually exclusive items. Don't confuse BBQ University with BBQ USA. I have enjoyed all of Raichlen's Books and believe that I still have a clue. There are many Raichlens recipes and perhaps methodologies that I might describe as YuppieQ but I think he is a very creative guy and gives Q'rs some alternatives to the Big 4 (Smoked Ribs, Butts, Brisket, and Chicken).

BBQ USA, I believe is actually a departure from his usual style of BBQ and really strives to go after the traditional regional variations across the USA and has accomplished this better than any single book that I have seen to date.

BBQ University is for rich Baby boomers that don't have a clue about BBQ and want to learn and the Greenbriar hotel is a perfect place for these people to do it in. Would I spend $5,000 for my wife and I to learn how to make a brisket, I don't think so. I would rather spend $200 on a Paul Kirk Class and spend the rest on BBQ equipment but I'm not going to criticize those that do (I'm just envious that they can). These people must think that they are getting a good return because BBQ U is sold out for the next 2 years.

I've also got Smokey Hales book as well as books from Paul Kirk, John Willingham, the Jamison's, etc. and have learned something from all of them. Keep an open mind and experiment a little and I think you'll enjoy Q a lot more.

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

Oh yeah and before I forget my manners, Welcome to the Board!

Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Pig,

You related to Ludichris by any chance?. I think most of the people on this board "have a clue" as you put it and still enjoy or can enjoy Raichlen's books. These are not mutually exclusive items. Don't confuse BBQ University with BBQ USA. I have enjoyed all of Raichlen's Books and believe that I still have a clue. There are many Raichlens recipes and perhaps methodologies that I might describe as YuppieQ but I think he is a very creative guy and gives Q'rs some alternatives to the Big 4 (Smoked Ribs, Butts, Brisket, and Chicken).

BBQ USA, I believe is actually a departure from his usual style of BBQ and really strives to go after the traditional regional variations across the USA and has accomplished this better than any single book that I have seen to date.

BBQ University is for rich Baby boomers that don't have a clue about BBQ and want to learn and the Greenbriar hotel is a perfect place for these people to do it in. Would I spend $5,000 for my wife and I to learn how to make a brisket, I don't think so. I would rather spend $200 on a Paul Kirk Class and spend the rest on BBQ equipment but I'm not going to criticize those that do (I'm just envious that they can). These people must think that they are getting a good return because BBQ U is sold out for the next 2 years.

I've also got Smokey Hales book as well as books from Paul Kirk, John Willingham, the Jamison's, etc. and have learned something from all of them. Keep an open mind and experiment a little and I think you'll enjoy Q a lot more.

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

Oh yeah and before I forget my manners, Welcome to the Board!

Well said

That is the exact reason I purchased the book!! Thank you Kloset

I never intended to say you don't have a clue. If your content to read a book in the easy chair than acutely doing barbecue, I have no problem with that. I was just giving my opinion.I respect your opinion. You kind of jumped me there. Please respect my opinion.I have a pretty thick skin, So I apologize if I insulted you in any way. I thought that's what this board was all about. Sharing opinions and sharing thoughts.

If your content to read a book in the easy chair than acutely doing barbecue, I have no problem with that

Seems to me that your posts are all about making judgments about people
rather than sharing opinions.

I have BBQ Bible and I think It's an excellent book. Good insights about what people from all over the world are doing for q'ing and grillng. That matambre recipe is really good (although I've modified it a little - the big tip for that would be to tie the thing up).

I'll have to check out the BBQ USA one. Although I probably have too many q/grill books, I like the idea of one that has strong regional recipes behind it....

Rob

I don't have BBQ USA, but I have "How to Grill" and "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". They're pretty good too.

Niagara River Smoker said:
I don't have BBQ USA, but I have "How to Grill" and "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". They're pretty good too.

Kirk's book rocks the house! His BBQ book is pretty good too...

Rob

Oops, I thought you meant Kirk's book :) #-o

Back
Top Bottom