BBQ Trifecta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool Dave. Thanks for the link. Got to get some of those.
Looks like the new big butt WSM has a home. Any name yet?
Bet it's thinking I'm going to get a work out here at this house! :LOL:

Pigs

About 5 hrs in it was time to check the ribs….

Once the smoke clears

Almost there

So far so good…once I got the temp dialed in it’s stayed where it should have….I was surprised that the water need to be replaced after 3 hours…but it seems to have leveled off now..

Its nice that after the ribs shrink up that you can get 3 racks on the grate….

Those are looking good Dave, I was just that...3 racks of ribs on the top grate and still some room. wow

Around 6 hrs Ribs are done

Chicken is on for smoked Chicken Lag asana later in the week….(That’s a family pac minus 6 pieces)

So far so good….I’ve got no complaints…I didn’t check the factory therm for accuracy but going by the cook times so far it seems to be pretty close…or as close as I need it to be…..It been holding a steady temp…has recovered well from when I’ve had the lid off…after the chicken is done I’ll bring the brisket up to the top grate and stick a therm in it and make some decisions as to foil or not…

About the only thing I would like is handles on the bottom rack

Yeah so far Cappy controlling the temps have been as easy as the smaller WSM….the vents need to be open a little more than the smaller one…but once I got it locked in it was holding steady…
The big one seems to burn a lot more fuel than the smaller one…but with the bigger area and more massive cuts of meat..I would say its to be expected…Its still more efficient that my small offset..

I decided to add some more charcoal now..while there was still day light …there was a fair amount left in the smoker but no where near enough to finish the brisket….We also took a few pics from the door of the brisket….I used the door as a chute to dump the charcoal into the cooker…it worked pretty well..

This thing is a rock..reload...wait 15-20 min and its right back were it was set for

Second batch of chicken is done….

And the brisket has moved up to the top shelve….Brisket flat is 155*

To foil or not to foil….

I decided to foil the flat..the point I cut into burnt ends…2 half pans just about fit on the lower grate…had to squish one to make it fit…

Brisket is done and taste tested…

Everything came out good and I was happy with the way the new WSM preformed.

As for the burn time before you need to reload….I was using lump which tends to burn quicker then the recommended briquets..I would think an average burn time would be 8-12 hours before a reload…this was only my first cook on it I would want a couple more under my belt before I could predict the burn time. It was somewhat cold and windy yesterday which will effect fuel consumption. It seemed like I needed to add a lot of water to the pan over the cook….I use sand in my smaller WSM so it might just be that it seemed like I had to use a lot o water.
I ended up using close to a full bag of lump including the chimney for about a 12 hour cook…there was a fair amount of lump left in the cooker but IMO not enough to finish the cook if I had not foiled. A couple of things could have contributed to this consumption…I had spread the lit charcoal around the unlit more than on the smaller WSM..I think using water as a heat sink might have contributed as well. I’d like to try sand or even some foil balls or a piedmont type of heat sink. All in all I’m happy with the way the WSM cooked and the added fuel use isn’t really a concern for me using it was pretty easy…
I only had one temp spike and that was like the perfect storm…lid was off to move brisket from bottom to top rack, the water pan was low and I had reload the charcoal and a bunch of it had caught…I just shut everything down…reaching in with some welding gloves pushed the charcoal to one side and after the temp came down…reset the vents and it was locked in again.
T he bigger WSM is like any other pit it has its advantages and disadvantages..the bigger cooking surface is real nice especially for ribs and whole briskets but it needs a little more tending to then the smaller WSM. I own two of the smaller WSMs and unless I need the extra space in a bad way I think I would do an overnight butt cook on them instead of the bigger one….now if I was going to be doing yard work all day and wanted ribs..rather than tend my offset which is what I typically cook ribs in I would probably use the Bigger WSM. For comp cook the new WSM will be nice at comps the added space would make it real easy to compete with one.

One other thing I know they tell you not to use lump..I did anyway but one thing I noticed is I would not use this on a wooden deck…because of the placement of the lower 3 dampers and the bigger holes when it got windy I noticed that some pretty big coals were blowing out the holes..

Again all these observations are after just one cook so take them for what they are. I was very pleased with the performance of the new WSM. It was just as easy to use as the old one and the food came out great
Oh yeah….the Burnt ends were worth the wait….

Sounds like a successfull test run...you might as well just give me your little tiny useless WSM.. Ill come up and pick it up !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom