BBQ-Smoking on Grille????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Why not cook ribs...depending on temp they can take anywhere from 3-6 hrs....If you end up cooking above 250* watch what kind of rub you use..the sugar can burn at the higher temps leaving a bitter taste..

Assuming we speaking gas grills here maybe? I have cooked a tolerable one on two on mine. Its a 3 burner model with a bottom two section rack and a top rack that sorta pivots in place and only covers about half the distance across the pit from front to back. I take out the bottom grates and set a big disposable aluminum hotel pan full of water direct on the burners and put the brisket (or you could use a coupla of Boston Butts if you wanted) on the halfast top grate and turn all three burners on low. Holds just about perfect temps at around 245-250 or so. Makes the grease drip direct into the water pan so cleanup is a breeze. For smoke I take a long sheet of tinfoil and roll up peecan twigs inside like twisting up a home rolled cigarette and poke big holes in the tinfoil so to let out the smoke when it gets to smoldering and set the tinfoil log on top of and perpendicular to the three burners and setting directly in front of the water pan. Best to make up three or 4 of these tinfoil logs so you have them handy when one zonks out you got another handy. When it comes time to wrap..if you wrap...time to take em in the house and finish in the oven. 300 to325 until it hits 200 plus internal works for me. Aint no sense in wasting valuable propane once the smoke has been blocked off from the meat by the foil..but you could finish on the pit if you wanted. It aint by no means an ideal scenario but will work for po folks. Guess the biggest biotch I could muster about it is the meat dont come out real smokey tasting. You might could figger out some way to remedy that deal.

bigwheel

Bank the charcoal to one side and put the food on the non-fireside. You can out a pan of water on top of the fire side for a heat sink as well...just make sure you keep an eye on the bottom vents to make sure they are properly dampered down. Do you have a thermometer to put in the cooker to see what the temp inside is? That will help you maintain the proper target temp!

I would lower your grate all the way down...

Back
Top Bottom