BBQ Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
almost every pic I see of Texas bbq has a long smoked sausage in it.
Looks mighty dang good to me. I'd like to start throwing some on
each time I smoke something, but what kind is used?

Hard to find good sausage here, we basically get Hillshire Farms
and Johnsonville...any reccomendations?

I assume it's just an all beef sausage?

Captain Morgan said:
almost every pic I see of Texas bbq has a long smoked sausage in it.
Looks mighty dang good to me. I'd like to start throwing some on
each time I smoke something, but what kind is used?

Hard to find good sausage here, we basically get Hillshire Farms
and Johnsonville...any reccomendations?

I assume it's just an all beef sausage?

Cappy I don't know but with you being in the South and me being raised in the South, it gave me a great idea! I'm a huge fan of liver pudding, especially in the casing, I wonder how that would be on the WSM? I haven't had liver pudding in years, but man I have a craving.....

Now back to your post.....

I've done up some of the Hillshire all beef links on the WSM and loved them, not sure how they compare to the authentic Texan version though....

Use whatever you can find. The best sausages around here are pork.

Hillshire farms sausages are weak on seasoning & smoke flavor,

Maybe try to inject a infused garlic & onion oil or butter into hillshire farms links before smoking

so the Texas bbq guys are heating up smoked sausages?

This is one of the few things I like to put a thicker tomato bbq sauce
on.

man, we was poor when I was coming up....we ate fried chicken gizzards and such....but for whatever reason, we never had livermush or liver pudding. Maybe it's the same thing, but I heard about people eating it when I was little, and just the name of it made love chicken gizzards.
Then these yankees came down and started talking about scrapple, that's a whole nother story

Hard to find decent sausage in most grocery stores unless they make it. Ya might try finding some place locally to make it for ya unless of course you want to try it yurself. Lots of good recipes on this here internet and mos likely in this here forum. Best sausage always gonna be home made fer sure. That Hilshire Farm stuff sux a bunch.
dj

Polish sausage (kielbasa) is made of ground lean pork and beef, seasonings, and garlic. This is what you always see in my pictures. We have many Czechs and Polls down here and they make awesome sausage. :D

This is one of many brands down here...

sausage_polish.jpg

sausage_beef.jpg

sausage_jalapeno.jpg

sausage_country.jpg

Hey Cappy drop into Wally World and get yourself some Hotlinks from Okiehoma. I forget the name of em right now. Woops..J.C. Potter..yep thats it. It dont come in ropes so portion control is a cinch. They make some with chicken and some without. I vote for the without models myself. Make a person chunk rocks at that Slovechecks stuff. Now if you want Boudan you will need Holmes Smokehouse Brand available at Kroger. Wrap in thin cheap bacon and smoke or grill it slow. See aint that easy?

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
Polish sausage (kielbasa) is made of ground lean pork and beef, seasonings, and garlic. This is what you always see in my pictures. We have many Czechs and Polls down here and they make awesome sausage. :D

quote]
One of our best friends is a Czech from Baytown and can you believe it - she doesn't cook and brought none of that heritage with her. I would love to have tapped into that.

well I went by Sams and bought some Cavanaugh smoked sausage made with pork and beef. Gonna throw em on tomorrow with
ribs.

Well aint never heard of it..which is a bad sign:) Hope it turns out good. Kindly keeps us posted.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom