BBq Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
You may have better luck asking on a diet forum, but a quick Google showed these two that look pretty good...

Sugar-Free Barbeque Sauce Recipe #1
* 1 onion finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1 can of chopped tomatoes
* 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
* 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar
* 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* pinch of chili powder
* pinch of cinnamon
* pinch of paprika
* salt and pepper all to taste.

Put the onions in a non stick pan with just a little bit of water (maybe 1 tbsp.). Cook the onions very gently for 1-2 hours, just until the onion starts to brown. Don't let the onions burn--we are trying to caramelize the onion to bring out its natural sugars. This is the ingredient that adds the sweetness to the tomato barbeque sauce.

The second recipe uses an artificial sweetener from a diet soft drink.

Sugar-Free Barbeque Sauce Recipe #2

* 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon onion salt
* 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
* A pinch of cayenne pepper
* 4 tablespoons tomato puree
* 1 cup sugar-free cola

Simply mix these ingredients together. The sweetness comes from the diet-cola.

Have you looked into using Agave syrup. It is made from the same plant that's used to make tequila so it has to be good!! It is high in fructose which gives it a low glycemic index. It is absorbed into the blood more slowly so there is no spike in glucose levels.

My wife is a diabetic and uses agave in many recipes without any problems.

Al

Agave is good stuff. My mom uses that in her tea and I almost cant tell a difference. Worth a try. Stevia is another one, but I think like it too much.

I have been working on a sauce for diabetics for the last year. I have used Agave Nectar with good results and am working on a Stevia version for even lower numbers. I will let you know how it works out and get you the final nutritional numbers if you like.

Spice

Back
Top Bottom