This is going to be fun

Past President California BBQ Association
www.BBQThom.com
Thom Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Re: BBQ Pit Masters Season 2

how bout that Diva Q? I was rofl when she started bitchin about
doing ribs with Trigg.

You know they say he carries a gun in his boot.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Web Celeb

You mean Johnny "Triggs", right??!! LOL!! I heard he carries Wild Turkey in his diamond encrusted waling stick too...no, wait, that was Evil Kenevil! LOL!!

I am hopeful the format does the show well!! That reaction to the gator from Diva was GREAT!!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
BBQ NOOB

Can't see me tuning into this one, honestly. They went from a behind the scene look at competition BBQ with a bit of comic relief to just another Damn IRON CHEF format. Granted this one might have more competitors with Southern Accents. Hasn't this format been tried already, and failed?
I know there is just so many ways you can show the contests meats being cooked, but come on There are so many teams out there competing that it shouldn't be too hard to put together compelling storylines.
I know the food contest genre is everywhere now but do we really need another show of how to cook some crazy ingredient? I think its been covered a million times by now. Don't get me wrong I hope they do well and its good for some in the BBQ world to get some exposure I just think that moving to this format wasn't the best way to move the show forward. Personally I would have pulled in a couple of new teams that compete everywhere and then brought in a smaller team at every venue they went to show the prep for guys not rolling around in a rig like Myron's. Build the story about who the people of BBQ really are. After all that is the formula for most all the popular shows on TLC, did anyone really watch American Choppers for the bikes, or was it the personalities that drove the show? Just my opinion and I know what it's worth. At least my DVR will have a little more free space this year.

Dave
spott77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #5

Dave, interesting perspective, and much rings true. I don't think there are enough bbq secrets
and techniques left out there to reveal during a series, so to be truly interesting to the largest
audience, you would need to focus on the personalities. Perhaps they will be fun to watch.

But from a production standpoint, you must realize a sliding scale of what will attract what demographic
or section of audience. Folks just getting into comp bbq will view this as must-see tv. Every trick
revealed will be gold. The folks who compete that don't really have many questions left may tune
in just for fun, or to keep up with events. Those that don't compete will be attracted merely for
the reality show competition experience.

I'm gonna give it a chance just because Diva is in it, but the new host got things started off on
the wrong foot on his network tv debut. Hope it's good, but I sure won't cry if it's a miss.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
BBQ Central College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Dave, interesting perspective, and much rings true. I don't think there are enough bbq secrets
and techniques left out there to reveal during a series, so to be truly interesting to the largest
audience, you would need to focus on the personalities. Perhaps they will be fun to watch.

But from a production standpoint, you must realize a sliding scale of what will attract what demographic
or section of audience. Folks just getting into comp bbq will view this as must-see tv. Every trick
revealed will be gold. The folks who compete that don't really have many questions left may tune
in just for fun, or to keep up with events. Those that don't compete will be attracted merely for

I'm gonna give it a chance just because Diva is in it, but the new host got things started off on
the wrong foot on his network tv debut. Hope it's good, but I sure won't cry if it's a miss.

Good assessment of the deal

Past President California BBQ Association
www.BBQThom.com
Thom Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spott77
did anyone really watch American Choppers for the bikes, or was it the personalities that drove the show? Just my opinion and I know what it's worth. At least my DVR will have a little more free space this year.

Dave
I really enjoyed American Choppers because of the bikes and turned it off when it became scripted. Deadliest Catch was great at first, became scripted, and then became good again. Perhaps this show will do the same thing.
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan

And we all know that Diva has NO personality!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
God O'Que

I think the old format is better.They took a new idea for a show and turned it into a show I can see on The Food Network just about any night of the week. I like to see what people go through to get ready for Comps and stuff and how they adapt when things don't go their way. I really don't care how they are going to prepare alligator, I probably never cook it.
Weber Jumbo Joe
UDS
Weber Q100
Santa Maria Style Grill

John
Vermin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Graduate of BBQ Central

I liked the way it was and judging from this trailer I'm a little disappointed. But I understand why they needed to change it to broaden the audience. I'm sure I'll probably watch it.
Is Diva always going to be on it? If she is it'll make it more watchable for me since I'll know who to root for.

Completely unrelated I've heard alligator is the healthiest meat out there.

I think Pringles initial intention was to make tennis balls, but on the day the rubber was supposed to arrive a big truck full of potatoes showed up, but Pringles is a laid back company, they said "What the hell, cut 'em up."
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote