Bay Leaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
I just cut down a 15 ft. bay leaf tree. Bay leaves are widely used throughout the world. It may be best known in bouquets garnis or used similarly in soups, sauces, stews, daubes and courts-bouillon’s, an appropriate seasoning for fish, meat and poultry. Bay leaf is often included as a pickling spice. Bay leaves and berries have been used for their astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, emetic and stomachic properties. Bay Oil, or Oil of Bays (Oleum Lauri) is used in liniments for bruising and sprains. In the Middle Ages it was believed to induce abortions and to have many magical qualities. It was once used to keep moths away, owing to the leafs lauric acid content which gives it insecticidal properties.

But is it ok to use in the pit?

Wow Mike, I never knew all that about Bay Leaves! Thanks for the info, I don't know about using them in the pit though.

Mike, I have been emailing people all over the USA concerning the toxicity of various wood smoke. I have had no response. Many trees are very toxic if the wood dust is inhaled or leaves, flowers, bark, twigs, or roots are ingested, yet the smoke is OK for curing meat. Even oak acorns will cause liver damage over a long period of time and the dust from oak and mesquite causes severe alergic reactions in many people, Go figure. I have asked questions of the Texas A&M Ag dept as well as several state and federal forestry services and got no response. Guess where on our own. However if we can use herb branches and grapevines for smoke I would think bay would be fine. We need serious BBQ research!!! I want federal funding for my new pit. :grin:

Bay is very distinctive when used as smokewood, like sassafras and pimento are. Be sparing till you know if you like it or not.

if you're certain you have Laurus nobilis you're good to go. Several other laurels are toxic.

I like sassafras. Some people don't like it but I usually find that that's when the wood quantity is excessive. I like it for some versions of fresh ham that I do.

Back
Top Bottom