Bark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have some PP boiling on the stove for a sandwich and was just thinking about the bark.

With all the effort put forth to cook the butt or brisket and take care not to ruin the bark, when you chop it up and vac seal it, don't the bark get ruined anyways ?

Do you guys trim the bark in any way before chopping or slicing for vac-sealing?

I don't chop, just pull and I make sure that all the bark is pulled small enough to blend in well with the PP. Sure, the bark will be a bit softer when reheated but IMO, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Cliff H. said:
I have some PP boiling on the stove for a sandwich and was just thinking about the bark.

With all the effort put forth to cook the butt or brisket and take care not to ruin the bark, when you chop it up and vac seal it, don't the bark get ruined anyways ?

Do you guys trim the bark in any way before chopping or slicing for vac-sealing?

Like the captain said, it's more for flavor. After you pull the pork, shred, chop whatever, sometimes adding a sprinkle of your rub can add to the flavor.

Bark?

Since I also don't know how to keep it crispy after sealing it, I just eat it ALL right after pulling the meat off the smoker.
If'n you ain't right thar, ya ain't gitten' no bark.
Smoke On!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I must say, vac sealed PP is almost as good as fresh off the pit.

The bark was still very good and had a lot of flavor. I am glad I have three more bags in the freezer. :D

wdroller said:
Bark texture may change, but taste remains the same IMO. Then again, I 've never had it in the deep freezer more than a month. However, my next go with pork butt I'll probably do four or maybe even six. With vac seal, how long have you all been able to freeze it with good results?
I do 4 butts at a time and I've had good results with it. 2 weeks, 14 months ~ Tastes the same. But like I said earlier, I feel you lose a bit once frozen but I like the reheated results.

Joke's got this one right. I can't think of anything that is as good frozen as fresh, but having said that I'm not sure I can tell the difference from vac packed that's been frozen for 3 months from some I put in the frig the day before.

Griff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom