Barbequed Chicken Quarters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
A back to basics ole standby kind of cook.

Used some Stubbs briquets and a chunk of pecan for smoke. Seasoned the leg quarters with just Lawry's and Black pepper. Chicken after it smoked for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Added a thin layer of Brothers BBQ sauce about every10 minutes or so. Chicken hit my target temp of 185 at the 2 hour mark.

Plated with corn on the cob, leftover potato salad and cole slaw

185 seems a bit high for that combo of chicken parts. I shoot for 175 in the thigh on splits. Have heard of some of the KCBS comp thigh cookers advocating 155 for thighs alone. Are we trying to dodge some kind of exotic germ or something? Thanks.

185 seems a bit high for that combo of chicken parts. I shoot for 175 in the thigh on splits. Have heard of some of the KCBS comp thigh cookers advocating 155 for thighs alone. Are we trying to dodge some kind of exotic germ or something? Thanks.

No germs, if my Wife sees a hint of red in her chicken she won't eat it.

Yeah I can understand that with chicken, but with beef, well that is a different story. The only beef I can eat that is cooked through is hamburgers, or taco meat.

Sounds like my dearly deceased Mama in Law. She was not one to eat anything red either. Have noticed on splits..175 in the thigh with an hours rest wrapped and in the hot box will not show any red in the joint or near the bone. Now there can be some red smoke streaks in the meat which is sorta normal for smoked chicken..but how ever Mama likes it is the key.

Last edited:
For me its a texture thing. I don't like my dark meat all gooey. Its hard to dry out the dark meat so I prefer it a little more done.

Great looking chicken!!!

Ok..gotcha. Could see how the gooey dark meat could be problematical. Good point. Sounds like some of the old seasoned citizen judges over in the Stockyards cookoff..pretty consistently. They picked out the driest biotch of the bunch and give it a grand prize winner ribbon. Tried a sample..was like munching on a boot..but they knew the worms and e coli were dead..and no red to be seen anywhere...lol.

Back
Top Bottom