Bar-b-Chef...Offset smoker...Fire Management Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well here's what I came up with, the chimney extension, I slpit the fire bricks in half, put 2 halfs in the bottom and the rest on the sides. I think i'm just going to rest the drip pans on the bricks.
As far as the firebox I can't find the right material to make the charcoal basket.
Gonna' try it tomorrow and see what happens 8-[

http://img449.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 43dzc.smil

Nick Prochilo said:
Let us know how it works out. I'll bet it holds the heat better for you now.
You should have seen me splitin' those bricks :grin:
You would have been proud :!:

all right puff! i was able to get the product tomake the basket at home depot i bought thje 24x24 sheet. I would like to know how many bricket you uesd and if that make a difference.

I used 6 brick line in the bottom of the smoker and that work great. but your look to add more mass a long the pit wall. I think yours will work better.

mrgrumpy said:
Here is some food for thought....

I didn't insulate my CG sfb, but I did get a piece of expanded metal and place on top of the cooking grate. I only use the SFB for low and slow smoking anyway. It seems to help a lot. It get the coals up out of the very shallow area and let them "breathe" instead of getting smothered in their own ash.... It is in line with the opening going into the main chamber with the inlet vent below, so the draft carries the heat straight into the main cooking chamber.

That is one of the mods I made and seems to work real well. The other is a piece of aluminum flex vent pipe for the exhaust vent. I put it over the vent, shaped it to follow the lid, and cut it off just above the cooking grate. That keeps the heat in a little better as well, and helps keep it more stable.
Just some input to ponder....

Bill

That's what Puff did today.

Finney said:
Damn Puff, when you were talking to me about extending the stack, I thought you meat on the outside. Good thing you went with the AL, not the galvanized. :eek:
That's why you said get the chrome pipes :eek:
The pipe was for the inside :eek:
But I still ordered the mud flaps :)

fire down below

I am interested in the charcoal basket, but I am concerned that when you add wood in order to get it to burn clean the dampers would have to be open a good amount thus causing a blazing inferno inside the firebox. I just upgraded from a light gauge SFB to a heavy gauge one because of the problems that you were talking about, that and dealing with the wonderfull Buffalo Spring. I did a Butt in the pouring rain Friday 35-40 deg. I used most of a bag of lump but I would have had a hell of a time with the older model. Currently after my intial burn I've stuck to charcoal (Coffe Can ) about every 1- 1/2 hrs and chucks off wood. I plan on using sticks of apple when it dries out. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a more effecient use of fuel? I would also like to know how the firebricks work out. Thanks

PS The butt came out great.

Well the mods I did on the Char Griller worked out great. I only went through about a 1/4 bag of lump for a 6 hr. cook!
The chimney extension and firebricks did the trick, I had no problem holding steady temps. The weather was a little warmer that probably helped some.
For most of the cooks i've done it was cold out.
I'm still going to put the baffle in the main chamber, hopefully that way I can use the entire cooking area.
Thanks for all the tips! :grin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom