Bad tasting bbq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROHO

Assistant Cook
My wife and I have been trying to make good BBQ for years and always get disappointed. It does not matter if it is cooked in oven or grill, we chop it up, put bbq sauce on it, put it in oven to heat bbq sauce. The next time we try to eat it, we heat it up in oven or on stove and it has a strange bad taste that I can't describe. It smells and taste bad. We have thrown away many dollars worth of BBQ. What is causing this bad taste? Thanks. Please help us.

Before anyone can help, we need to know complete details as to to a few things.

1: what kind(s) of meat have you used
2: what kind of prep I.E. rubs/marinades/spices
3: what grill types.....Charcoal/ smoker/gas grill/oven
4: what temperature / time have you cooked said meats
5: what woods have you used while cooking/smoking

We hardly use a rub, but it doesn't make a difference with this bad taste. Some time we pre boil and finish in oven or gas grill. We never smoke, so far. I do have a smoker which I will try next time. We have did it so many times and removed it at different times because we don't have a temp. My wife said it's "done" and we remove it. We cook a lot of the pork and freeze it. When we want a bbq sandwich, we defrost, pour sauce over and heat in oven or top of stove in pan. Hope this helps.

Follow what Bosko said, but one main thing I saw was OVEN, or GRILL

Good Q is mostly done with a smoker, we need to know what you are using. If you are using Charcoal, are you using charcoal starter to sire it up?

From your second comment I see that you boil them. This is kind of a sin with smokers. You can use your gasser as a smoker. This is not all that hard to do. This is what I would do.

Get yourself a simple rub, start your smoker with the minion method. This will allow for hours of smoking. Start out early, this is going to take a while. Most of the time it is going to take atleast 5 hours of smoking. Please don't let your wife tell you when she thinks it's done. The meat is done, when it is done. With ribs, this would be in the fifth, or sixth hour, you will see the meat retracting around the bones. You might want to do some youtube research. Check out the minion method for a heat source, then look up the 3-2-1 method. I do not use it anymore, but it is a good starting place. Remember to remove the membrane!

Here is a simple but effective rib, and butt rub. This is typically for two, to three racks of spares.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup cracked black pepper
1/8 cup ground black pepper (butcher grind)
3 TBSP. garlic powder
3 TBSP. onion powder
1 tsp. red pepper flake
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper (optional for heat)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional for heat)

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together, spread over top of meat evenly coating the surface

Sorry, but I'm not very pleased with your forum. Good day.

XmKsnIi.gif

Okay? Bosko this it your fault!!!!!! LoL. How can someone not be pleased with us telling him exactly what to do to create great BBQ! I don't get it? Oh well.

I'll take the blame...who cares.

I just burst out loud laughing at the post, go back and re read them I have a feeling you will do the same.....

I blame Max for the OP to bail...if he would keep his noodz to himself and keep from PM'ing everyone I feel more people would post here.

I mean the last batch he sent me, I felt were artistic, he never said no animals were injured during the photoshoot:cool:

bad taste

reaheated pork always taste somewhat funky an never as good as freshly smoked and yes you do need a good themomater except when smokeing pork butt,or brisket. a butt has bult in therm. when bone pulls loose it's done brisket is cooked to probe tender any thing else cook to temp. P.S. if you don`t like the answers sorry been nice knowen yah.

It's not what you guys posted for ideas and help it was all the shit I posted.
I was just tryin to have some fun as this place needs some revival in spirt!

None the less, just because it is BBQ maybe the guy just DONT like the taste no matter how it's cooked!
You could put maple syrup on tripe, don't mean I'm going to like it.

I will say this cooking meat to death especially boiling...YUCK and then freezing it
you are asking for failure right away, you can't save it after that..

For example, dude in the blue shirt feed the camel boiled meat

1414429357_camel_bites_man.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom