Baconator!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
Ibought a bag of Hickory Chunks and kept the temps down to about 200* It took about 1 1/2 hours to get up to 150* internal. They are cooling in the kitchen, waiting to have the skin cut off and sliced. I can not even begin to tell you how good the house smells right now.

Just a tad too salty for me and the wife. Kiddies loved it. I fried up some of the pepper and brown sugar this morning. I like that one the best. Still just a bit too much salt. Might not have rinsed enough of it off or used too much salt. :? Still tasted better than any store bought I have had.
If I do another batch i willm try using honey for a sweetner. I had some bacon in Illinois that used honey and I really liked it alot.
Simple to do and a lot of fun. Get yerself some porkbellies and try it for yourself! :D

Unity said:
Looks great, GH.

Did you weigh the finished product to compare with the 18-lb starting weight?

--John
I did not even think to do that. :oops:
I think it was about half the starting weight. A lot of lost weight was water that was drawn out by the curing with salt and the short cook rendered out a bit of fat and cutting off the skin was a huge portion of the lost weight. Still I filled up 3 foodsaver bags! :P

Looks great. Now did we get a recipe for this project? For some reason I had the idear bacon was normally cold smoked. Guessing there is mo than one way to skin a cat or something of that nature. Straighten up my thinking here. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks great. Now did we get a recipe for this project? For some reason I had the idear bacon was normally cold smoked. Guessing there is mo than one way to skin a cat or something of that nature. Straighten up my thinking here. Thanks.

bigwheel
I don't know how to link the original post but it was under "What to do with porkbelly?" in this section. The recipe I used called for internal 150* so I could not cold smoke it. I think it is considered a 2 part cook. Once to cure and then cooking it to finish in the pan later.

Unity said:
Looks great, GH.

Did you weigh the finished product to compare with the 18-lb starting weight?

--John

How much does the current weight compare to the finished weight? Is it all gone yet??? :shock:

Back
Top Bottom