Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Cooker

Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf

Hi. Thought I'd smoke this on the day after Son-of-Ida left town. Amy challenged me (I absolutely HATE meatloaf) and went along with adding bacon and smoke. Thus, this might change my perception and dislike for meatloaf. If this comes out the way it looks, this will be the only way I'll eat one going forward.

Getting ready to check on it. Will post an updated picture soon.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
BBQ Central College

If that tastes as good as it looks, it should be great. Post pics of done cook. I'm not a fan of meatloaf either, but that looks good

JWJR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Cooker

Results of My First Ever Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Here's the results. First pic here is after I poked holes in the aluminum to drain the bacon fat and carried into the house in an All-Clad roaster. The bits of meatloaf that sat in the fat were awesome. Nothing like smoke and rub to turn a (ground turkey) meatloaf into something memorable.

Note the lack of a smoke ring. The bacon received all the smoke on this. But the bacon did add flavor to the meatloaf. The funny thing is that this was some old Costco bacon that was past its prime just sitting in the freezer. But the rub and smoke more than made it tasty again.

I smoked this ground turkey meatloaf for about 90 minutes at 290 degrees with water in the pan and using 4 or 5 small black cherry wood chunks and regular Kingsford charcoal. We did not let the meatloaf rest. It was hacked up immediately and wolfed down with no side dishes. I couldn't wait to cook anything else. I was actually shocked that it would be ready so fast.

Props to Ina Garten of Food Network for the recipe that Amy hacked and props to Amy for trusting the flavor profile I gave it/changed by adding bacon and rub.

While I pulled this out of the smoker late (187 degrees internal temp), the meat was overdone, but was still quite moist. Either the bacon or the bacon fat or the fact that Amy put too much broth in the raw meat were the things that saved it. Anyways, it was really good. If anything, every other bite had bacon in it, so I couldn't go wrong with that.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
BBQ Central Pro

My wife doesn't like meat loaf either, but when I've smoked it the same way you did she really liked it. Nice work!

Equipment:
The Good-One Marshall
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Comp Smoker
Thermos Grill 2 Go - Tailgating grill
Shores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores
My wife doesn't like meat loaf either, but when I've smoked it the same way you did she really liked it. Nice work!
Thanks Chris. I'm thinking the next time I try this, I'll smoke the meatloaf without the bacon for an unknown amount of time and then add the bacon and finish it up. The reason being the meatloaf has no smoke ring and I miss that. I don't know if anyone has experience with that and I don't know if I'd have to increase the pit temp in order for the bacon to get reasonably cooked in a shorter time frame. Maybe start on the WSM and finish on my kettle grill? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, the next one will likely be stuffed with eggs or cheese or something.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

loverly
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Pork Butt

The absolute best part of a meatloaf is the meatloaf sandwich from the leftovers. Whole wheat bread,salt an pepper, and salad dressing.UMMMMM
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekr
The absolute best part of a meatloaf is the meatloaf sandwich from the leftovers. Whole wheat bread,salt an pepper, and salad dressing.UMMMMM
Thanks. That sounds delicious. But so far no sandwhiches. We ate half of it as is. Almost like it was bacon and eggs. The rest of it will be devoured with Spanish rice and another combination yet thought of. Maybe we'll simply top it with guacomale and salsa. Not sure.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

I had some of your meatloaf for lunch today Piggy....It was AWESOME!

http://panfreak.blogspot.com and http://recipesfromvirginia.blogspot.com/
The Princess is offline   Reply With Quote