Babyback cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
This was a high-heat cook as I find higher heat more suitable for the relatively lower fat-to-lean ratio of back ribs.

I salted the ribs then rubbed with a blend of garlic, onion, thyme, sage, Greek oregano, Aleppo, extra hot NM chile,sugar, lemon peel powder, allsoicecinnamon and green pepper.

I Minioned the start, temps took a half hour to hit 250 lid then about 20 min to hit 300 and another 15-20 to hit 350. Cooked till nicely colored, about 90 min total, then foiled with juice/stock (ruby grapefruit I had just squeezed plus a little chicken stock) for 45 min when they were just tender. (Temps were 350-375 lid during the foil stage.)

I removed them from the foil, painted on a thin veneer of glaze (pomegranate molasses, calamondin liqueur, a little honey, butter) and returned them to the cooker while I finished the side dish, about 7 min more (temps 350). Rested 5, sliced and served.

Ribs off the grill:

img_91242_0_6e1cf0db32de015159ca076c30a3b3bd.jpg

Served, with a side of pasta in a sauce of baby peas, white wine reduction, shallots and Parmigiano-Reggiano:

img_91242_1_613c13b3b683e880a9d5998c31b2b573.jpg

Note the smokering (I like smokerings). Nice and wide on both sides with just a thin strip in the center untouched. I used hickory.

img_91242_2_30b7946a1279bf14881540eba756f02e.jpg

High Heat??

High Heat - Quick Cook - Fast Track??????

There ain't NO other way to do it. Good Job.
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Now, let's wait for the Low and Slow boys to chime in about you CAN'T DO THAT high heat thing.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, The ribs look good...but the plating?? Not for me...that would not dispell the myth that is currently running about me! :LOL:

Greg--What myth would that be?

Kick--Though I cook much lower/slower for pigs I raise, they are much fattier and one really doesn't have a choice. The loins look like rib-eyes--marbled up the wahzoo. But standard supermarket pork is different: spares (I cook ~265-275 grate), backs (higher, obviously), butts (~275), as I don't find lower temps necessary nor warranted. (If I need to stretch a butt cook out I will go lower to lengthen the time; they can handle it).

wboggs--My place on the market for the moment--but not listed--though I'll soon take myself off. I have a new project going for the land. But there are few 2-acre lots near me and more than a few either relatively recently built or newly built homes (on 2-acre lots) on the road that leads to my place! (I have 10 acres where the road dead-ends.) Come on over to Okee!

Thanks, Scotty.

Cliff--I missed your post. Total time from placement on the grate to placement on the dinner table was 2:30; actual cook time not including the short rest, slicing and plating was 2:22.

K Kruger said:
wboggs--My place on the market for the moment--but not listed--though I'll soon take myself off. I have a new project going for the land. But there are few 2-acre lots near me and more than a few either relatively recently built or newly built homes (on 2-acre lots) on the road that leads to my place! (I have 10 acres where the road dead-ends.) Come on over to Okee!
I can see it now. We all move onto 2 acre lots , yet our houses are only 20 feet apart. :LOL:

I like the looks of the pasta. Ribs I can do but Pasta, well mine is OK but I need help with making Good pasta.
Kevin, my In Laws just bought a vacation home somewhere in the middle of Florida. Just this week. I might just get to meet you yet.

On Edit- I will make sure to call first so you can get you some clothes on.

Captain Morgan said:
Bush hog and naked should never be used in the same sentence.
Just like weed whacker and naked.
Well Cappy I as for the Bush Hog...I guess you never woke up with one of the ones you picked up when drinking....
and for weed whacker..I guess it depends on what you call it....maybe it grows like a weed.....
:D

This post will be deleted momentarily... ;) :D

wittdog said:
Captain Morgan said:
Bush hog and naked should never be used in the same sentence.
Just like weed whacker and naked.
Well Cappy I as for the Bush Hog...I guess you never woke up with one of the ones you picked up when drinking....
and for weed whacker..I guess it depends on what you call it....maybe it grows like a weed.....
:D

This post will be deleted momentarily... ;) :D

Go dog go.... Good dog

Nice lookin rack K

Dale-- Where in Fla? (P.S.: one of the secrets to good pasta is save some of the pasta cooking water in a cup, drain the pasta (never rinse it), then return it to the pot and add the sauce with a splash of the cooking water; stir, cover and heat over very low heat for just a couple minutes so the the pasta absorbs some sauce, taste for salt and dryness, adding some more cooking water if need be. Adjust salt again, if necessary; serve. I'm of the Italian school of pasta/sauce cooking (irrespective of whether I am making an 'Italian' sauce), i.e., I don't like pasta swimming in sauce. If, however, you prefer that style, then do as above but just add some of the sauce to the pasta and proceed as noted. If you cook pasta just al dente it can handle a few minutes of low heat with the sauce post-draining without overcooking. Pasta will absorb sauce/flavors, the roughness of the exterior of the pasta will allow the sauce to stick, and the starch in the pasta cooking water will facilitate this as well as add body to the sauce.)

Cap'n--'Grill' and 'naked' shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Been there! :shock:

witt--Hadn't thought of that till you mentioned it...been there too!

Back
Top Bottom