Baby Back Cook & Temp Checking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Doing 3 racks of Baby Backs today, all on the top grate. So I figured while I'm cooking I might as well check something that usually comes up here for discussion.

Exactly what is the temp on the bottom grate when using sand? and is it that much higher than the top grate? Planning on cooking the ribs in the 225-235 range on the top grate. Ambient temps north of Detroit today 93*.

Will have the Nu-Temps in place and report back either tonight or tomorrow on the results.

If you don't mind me jumping in, I use a remote therm at grate level.
Rather than resting the actual probe on the grate, I stick it through a piece of potato or wood, or even a crumpled ball or foil or a cork. This lets the therm stay off the grate, but right at meat level.

And you want the actual temps at meat level.

Well I put the ribs on the cooker at 1pm. I have a Nu-Temp remote probe in the lid, one at top grate level (about 3" from grate) and one on the lower grate about 2" from the actual grate.

At 2:30pm I have the following readings:

Lid 275
Top Grate 235
Bottom 230

All bottom vents open about 1/8"

Brinkman Charcoal Pan, sand about 1 1/2 - 2" from top, aluminum foil over the sand.

Wow Bruce.:eek:
I don't think I've heard of using the Brinkman pan with sand. Usually it's used so that you don't have to add water during the night ... ( But you knew that, and I merely add that for the newbians ).

I use the normal Weber pan and it's prolly got 2.5 to 3 cups of sand in it, flattened, and foiled with 2 layers of HD on the bottom, and 4-5 layers on top.

Scotty,

I've always been curious...why do people foil the bottom of the pan???

Enquiring minds want to know!

Bruce, it keeps the plan clean with less clean up for any future water cooks.

And if you get a leak and the sand gets wet with fat (been there),
again, it's an easy clean.

OK, here we go... a reversile in temps

Lid 266
Top 230
Bottom 237

All bottom vents, barely open. :ack:

By 5pm the lid temp was down to 247 and the top grate was at 236 and the bottom grate at 237.

I took the ribs off at 5:40pm

During this 4 1/2 hour cook I found no evidence that radiant heat from sand foiled in the pan makes the bottom grate much hotter than the top grate.

Of course, your mileage may differ.

That's interesting Bruce, thanks for posting your results with sand.

I wonder how much of a factor if any the extra sand in the Brinmann pan over the WSM standard pan is?

Any chance you might try the test again with the standard pan?

Hoss,

The Nu-Temp is real accurate, I test each one prior to every cook (just a quick boiling water test. 2 of mine are at 211 the other is at 210.

The Nu-Temp has only one alarm either high or low, not both. I don't know how it would compare to a Maverick, I've never owned one. I can get a reading from the front of my house to the rear patio with the house in between though, I am very happy with them.

Shawn; I would think if I had less sand in the standard pan the effect would be less. I use the Brinkmann pan for sand because I like the way it fits better on the support as opposed to the Weber.

Back
Top Bottom