B over B?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
No. You got it right. The pecking order in a stacked dripping arrangement is...Pork on top..beef next...deceased barnyard avians..sheep possums..coons...snakes and skunks goes on the bottom. Your doing good.

bigwheel

It all depends........... If you're putting them on the smoker at the same time you will benefit from putting the breast on top, because it's gonna finish far sooner than the brisket and with it being on top you won't have to rotate the grates. Any poultry juices that drip on the brisket are going to be done whenever the breast is done in the first place. Considering the brisket is going to take many more hours to cook, there's no hazards involved in my opinion.

Well if you put the bird on to finish when the brisket does, then put the bird on the bottom.

brian j said:
LowRent said:
[quote="Burnt Food Dude":1nzvdq1y]The last time I did a brined breast it cooked in 2 hours.

Really? What temp did you use?
i cook 'em between 300 and 350 on a wsm and that's about how long mine take.[/quote:1nzvdq1y]

Sounds right. I haven't used my WSM that high yet. I'll give it a try soon.

Larry Wolfe said:
... there's no hazards involved in my opinion.
Quite right.

The most common myth on barbecue boards (among many) is the 'Never put poultry over anything else' one. As long as you're cooking at safe temps to safe temps there isn't a hazard.

By far, the biggest potential problem with poultry--especially chicken--is cross-contamination that occurs before cooking. The causes, often: washing chicken or other poultry; handling raw poultry then utensils or raw foods that will be eaten raw; improper cleaning of the cutting board or utensils used on raw poultry.

I'd cook the brisket at low temp, wrap it in foil and hold it in an ice chest, then raise the temp and cook the turkey. In a couple hours the brisket will have improved with the rest and the turkey will be done. Rest the turkey while you slice the brisket and everything will be in great shape.

There may not be a problem with the food baddies. Poultry dripping on beef straight out tastes nasty. Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good cow pie?

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom