au jus....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
I was thinking (odd as that may seem)...

When I cooked the rib roasts, the sirloin tip or even a brisket..the liquid thats left in the water pan always resembles a beautiful brown "au lus"..

The pan always starts out clean and is foil wrapped. Anyone ever use the "drippings" left in the water pan to make gravy or a nice dipping sauce ?

Comments / concerns ??

A lot of folks who compete seperate the fat and the Au Jus and then use the juice in combo with a light tomato based bbq sauce to use on their slices.

Some would say that beef brisket comp is using more and more beef broth type sauces for turn ins...

The drippings in my pan with sand in it always dries out as it evaporates or cooks and does not come out looking like anything that I would want to eat.

Yours stays in liquid form ?

I've used the drippings from briskets to make a gravy. It works fine. Cliff, just try screening the sand out, I think that migt work also! :shock:

AuJus

I smoke my meat in pans. I have ALL of that wonderful juice from the meats to use for sauces and to blend back into the meat after pulling.
It might not be the right way, it's just the way I do it.
Smoke On!!!!!

Re: AuJus

kickassbbq said:
I smoke my meat in pans. I have ALL of that wonderful juice from the meats to use for sauces and to blend back into the meat after pulling.
It might not be the right way, it's just the way I do it.
Smoke On!!!!!

I have cooked with my meat in pans, and I have cooked it with a cooling rack spanning the witdth of a pan so that the meat sits above it. It allows the smoke to circulate around the meat while still catching the juices.

john pen said:
I was thinking (odd as that may seem)...

When I cooked the rib roasts, the sirloin tip or even a brisket..the liquid thats left in the water pan always resembles a beautiful brown "au lus"..

The pan always starts out clean and is foil wrapped. Anyone ever use the "drippings" left in the water pan to make gravy or a nice dipping sauce ?

Comments / concerns ??
I've done it you just need to cut the left over juice with some water cuz the smokey flavor was pretty intense...

Right: The smoke flavor can be too intense to build a sauce from or to make jus. I usually take juices from the foil of the resting to meat to add to sauces or to build a sauce from. Good flavor without the bitterness of over-smoked drippings.

(Side note: jus isn't simply drippings. It's defatted drippings combined with beef stock.)

Back
Top Bottom