Are There Any Bad BBQ Books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Actually, I am not a big fan of BBQ cookbooks. I use them if I need a recipe, but rarely read them. I do not care for "The BBQ Bible." Not a big Raichlen fan.

I'm not a big fan of BBQ books either, but I do have a few. I use them to get recipe ideas from, but don't consider them to be the gosphel. The best BBQ reference you can have is learning from your experiences and from your own trials and errors and ruined cooks. At least that's what helped me the most!

I'm not sure you could uniformly call any bbq book bad...different regions may not like certain books for various reasons, but it seems like even the lesser ones would have some inherent value.

Best advice I can give is to make sure you are getting something that actually deals with REAL BBQ...meaning, not throwing ribs on a gas grill and slapping some sauce on it(although this does work for some...not me, but others). I like to use Kirk's book, Peace Love and BBQ is fantastic, Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ is good, Raichlen(I don't care for him either) for the recipes..sometimes, Smoke and Spice is good too. The best source of info is on the web. Read the archive pages of various websites, try some different things and figure out what works best for you. Half the fun of making and being able to recreate great BBq is getting there and all the crap you make in between. So take your time and really pay attention to what you are doing and what you have produced and don't look for the quick shortcuts. When you start to realize how poopy your first stuff was...you're getting there.

I echo both Uncle and Cappy. The local newspaper is actually going to do an article for the Wednesday Food section on me. I plan to heavily go into how the web helped me to do this. Three years ago, I didn't know anything about BBQ but how to eat it. Now, I have people pm'ing, e-mailing, and calling me all week for advice. I am involved, at least peripherally, on at least 7 forums! The web can teache you to do just about anything! Books are good supplements though!

Woodman said:
I echo both Uncle and Cappy. The local newspaper is actually going to do an article for the Wednesday Food section on me. I plan to heavily go into how the web helped me to do this. Three years ago, I didn't know anything about BBQ but how to eat it. Now, I have people pm'ing, e-mailing, and calling me all week for advice. I am involved, at least peripherally, on at least 7 forums! The web can teache you to do just about anything! Books are good supplements though!

Sounds like you're going to have to "widen" your doorways soon! 8-[

Hey Woody,

Hope your gonna pass us the link, so we all can read this article!! :eek:

Keep up the great work! =D>

Cheers :grin:

Back
Top Bottom