Anyone using a jicard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Since I don't inject my butts or brisket, but do marinate them, I decided going over them with a jicard and making hundreds of small holes might help get the marinade deeper into the meat, any opinions?

I think using a jaccard will not help at all. I think that the juices and all that goodness escape too much when over punctured.

LOL I should have put speaking from personal experience and experimentation it will wreck your brisket. Trust me on this.

Diva Q said:
LOL I should have put speaking from personal experience and experimentation it will wreck your brisket. Trust me on this.

Thanks for the info, I will trust your experience - no since trying something that doesn't work when there are so many new mistakes out there for me to make. :D

Ditto to whut Diva say. Them Jaccards are purty well worthless for anything. Dont even work for tenderizing a round steak.

bigwheel

I use a jicard for Fajitas and maybe thick pork chops, but that is about it. I would not try on a brisket, it will not go deep enough in my opinion. I have never injected but I hear it works.

Good technique and understanding what's happening does more for producing a tender brisket than a jucard or injecting will.

Injecting adds flavor but if your cooking technique is bad it still won't be tender.

Learn and practice good techniques, you will be very happy with the results.

Jim

big dude said:
Since I don't inject my butts or brisket, but do marinate them, I decided going over them with a jicard and making hundreds of small holes might help get the marinade deeper into the meat, any opinions?
Jaccards are better for meat with a dense grain that is not destined to be cooked to the 'done' we associate with barbecue, not cuts like brisket.

Since you're looking for more marinade flavor, can I ask what you're using, what the ratio os salt to liquid is, and how long you're marinating?

Back
Top Bottom