Anyone smoking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick I added a few small chips for the sausages, by the time I put them on all my wood was gone.

Th Ohm picture can be seen by clicking the 2004-09-17 Brisket link on this page Bill. I ended up cutting off from the flat what wouldn't fit then cooking that piece another time.

Larry Wolfe said:
Larry I think I know what the problem was, why you had to foil. I can tell from your pictures that you had the lid off your WSM. Stuff will cook better with the lid on.

Just kiddin man, it really looks good. Look at that smoke ring, makes me want to try another brisket. Great job!

Man that looks great Larry! How did it taste...did you use BBQ sauce? Now I have to decide if your turkey or brisket is the best looking! GREAT JOB!! :D

Thanks for the compliments guys. Taste and tenderness were great, no sauce needed. Need to add a bit more sugar to the rub next time, otherwise it was fine.

BTW, if you haven't done sausages on the smoker before, make it a priority next cook. Not sure if it gets any better than sausages, smoked low and slow. 2hours @ 225-230*. Very good.

Workin' all weekend, but throwin a brisket (1.99 lb) on sometime sunday nite to hopefully have for dinner Monday..gonna try the garlic/ evoo rub from one of the other posts...

Captain Morgan said:
Larry, it's a crying shame you didn't have that in a comp. That is one of the most gorgeous briskets I've ever seen.

Thanks Cap'n, hopefully if and when I ever do a comp I'll have the same success and the judges concur with your thoughts!

Nick Prochilo said:
Larry, thats the finest looking brisket I've ever seen!

Thank you Nick!

Susan Z said:
Sweeeeet, Larry! Is all that juice from the brisket?!

Those look like mighty thick slices. I wonder how thick the rest of the gang here slices 'em. I try to do mine on the thin side.

Yes Susan, 100% brisket juice.

Yeah the moisture is the first thing I noticed. Great smoke ring, despite the foil the outside looks perfect, a little crusty. But all that moisture is what I want in my q, any type of meat. After hours in the heat, if you can get something that juicy, well it must be magic.

Susan Z said:
Wow! Must be the wonders of foiling. Verrrrrry interesting.

Well Susan, like I've said before in the past I am typically "anti-foiling" except for ribs. But I may have to consider foiling again in the future, the results were not nearly as bad as I'd thought they would be. The only thing that would lead me to foiling again though is, if I was running short on time again. Otherwise, I'll try to keep the meat in the smoke.

Yes it was delicious! I'm actually eating a sammich right now. Got plenty left if you wanna make the trip to Bealeton? ;) You could have a nice brisket sammich in prolly less than an hour! Got cold beer too!

I love me some horseradish! Just ate this sammich plain, with a bit of black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom