Anybody cooking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill The Grill Guy said:
The oldest leaves for college tomorrow. She wanted me to fix beef stroganof before she leaves.

My daughter leaves on Monday. After the pulled pork sammies for dinner tonight, she made me foodsave the rest in individual packages and freeze them. She will take them with her (10 in all) to have for dinner while shes away. Man the things we do for our kids!

Nick Prochilo said:
Yeah, but when they ask for stuff like this, ....well, it just doesn't get any better! :!:

I know what you mean. I asked my thirty year old son what for he wanted for dinner on Christmas Eve this year. He replied "How about some of your smoked ribs, Dad?" I was all smiles.

Griff

Ribs

Putting on 3 racks of baby backs so I can try a new rub recipe I have been thinking about. Woke up in the middle of the night and changed it again. I think I have it now. If it is good, I'll put it up fer ya!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
ed
I Ol' dog
Harley in my shop
Smoke On!!!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com

Cooked all week in the above average temps.
Winter returned this weekend (10*F in the sun) so I'm in the lab doing some sauce experiments.

The wind kept me from cooking Saturday, and even on Sunday morning I wasn't sure. Finally I got two pork butts on the WSM about 9:30 Sunday morning. So guess who was pulling pork butts at 3:00 am Monday? :badgrin:

Boston-Butt Saturday....Ribs Monday

Here are the results of the Boston butt I smoked Saturday
This is the first butt I’ve smoked in years. I have never used an offset smoker until I bought the Bar B Chef a few weeks ago. I started the fire at 5:50. Put the meat on at 7AM. The wind blow between 25 to 30 mph or more all day. I smoked until the internal temperature got to 195 at 6:45PM. I place the butt in a cooler wrapped in foil for 1 hour and 5 minutes. The inside of the pork was juicy and tender the outside bark had flavors of too much heavy smoker even a creosote taste or some strange flavor. Here are the pictures

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Boston-Butt/

I smoked ribs yesterday and they were the best I’ve ever done. I use the 3-2-1 method. I used lump for fuel and wood for smoke with the exception of wood for fuel while the ribs were in the foil.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Ribs/

Re: Boston-Butt Saturday....Ribs Monday

cleglue said:
Here are the results of the Boston butt I smoked Saturday
This is the first butt I’ve smoked in years. I have never used an offset smoker until I bought the Bar B Chef a few weeks ago. I started the fire at 5:50. Put the meat on at 7AM. The wind blow between 25 to 30 mph or more all day. I smoked until the internal temperature got to 195 at 6:45PM. I place the butt in a cooler wrapped in foil for 1 hour and 5 minutes. The inside of the pork was juicy and tender the outside bark had flavors of too much heavy smoker even a creosote taste or some strange flavor. Here are the pictures

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Boston-Butt/

I smoked ribs yesterday and they were the best I’ve ever done. I use the 3-2-1 method. I used lump for fuel and wood for smoke with the exception of wood for fuel while the ribs were in the foil.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Ribs/

"Soot" is generally caused by smoldering wood caused by improper airflow. Make sure your exhaust damper is 100% open and your air inlet damper is open enough to allow sufficient air into your cooker for the wood to "burn" versus "smolder". Smoldering wood will give you black sooty oversmoked bitter tasting food! The other thing that could be the culprit is green wood. Was the wood properly seasoned??

The butt doesn't look all that black to me, actually looks pretty good! The ribs look fantastic! I got tongue marks on my computer screen to prove that!

Just a guess, You tried to damp your fire down too much. Soot or a creosote taste 99% of the time means not enough air (oxigen) getting to the fuel. A small fire that you have to add fuel to is much better than a large fuel fire that you have to damp down or use the atomizer water bottle on.My .2

The wood was split about 2 to 2 1/2 year ago. I believe it is the smoldering problem. The exhaust is full open. If I let the wood burn freely (firebox damper open more) is gets the smoke chamber too hot. Maybe I need to open the damper though until the wood catches up or keep a small fire outside the firebox and add the hot coals to the firebox. The wood is about 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. Maybe I need to cut the stick in half to reduce the temperature rise when adding new wood. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

cleglue said:
The wood was split about 2 to 2 1/2 year ago. I believe it is the smoldering problem. The exhaust is full open. If I let the wood burn freely (firebox damper open more) is gets the smoke chamber too hot. Maybe I need to open the damper though until the wood catches up or keep a small fire outside the firebox and add the hot coals to the firebox. The wood is about 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. Maybe I need to cut the stick in half to reduce the temperature rise when adding new wood. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You could go the hot coal route, or you could try this. About an hour or so before you want to put your meat on, light a chimney of charcoal, pour them in your firebox. Add a couple of the sticks you described and let them flame up and burn almost to the point of coals. Now you have a nice bed of coals, your pit should be up to temp with a clean burning fire and you're ready to add your meat. Depending on your cooker, you will need to add a small log about every hour. When you add a new one, it should flame up right away (don't worry about the initial heat spike). Leave your fire box door cracked for a couple minutes until the log is fully lit and let it burn for a minute or two before closing. The log should be burning, not just sitting there smoldering with tons of white smoke billowing from it. Try a dry run like this and work with your fire/temp control. The key is getting and keeping a nice bed of coals from beginning to end (not too big or too small of a bed), from there the fire and heat control should be pretty easy. Good luck and hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom