Another Pork Butt Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaleP said:
I have seen several guys use saran wrap for butts at comps. Not just for resting, but while cooking. When I stumbled over to ask why, the reply was time saver and to keep smoke down. These folks were cooking on stick burners, not bullets though. I was cooking butts on a WSM and took their advice. I had overdone, mushy PP.

Dale no offence to you, but it doesn't matter what they were cooking on. If they can't control their fire to the point they need to plastic/foil wrap their butts to prevent them from over smoking, then they don't have a clue what they're doing. [-X

Larry Wolfe said:
DaleP said:
I have seen several guys use saran wrap for butts at comps. Not just for resting, but while cooking. When I stumbled over to ask why, the reply was time saver and to keep smoke down. These folks were cooking on stick burners, not bullets though. I was cooking butts on a WSM and took their advice. I had overdone, mushy PP.

Dale no offence to you, but it doesn't matter what they were cooking on. If they can't control their fire to the point they need to plastic/foil wrap their butts to prevent them from over smoking, then they don't have a clue what they're doing. [-X

That's a mighty bold statement Larry:

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Good Q!

Jack

I'm not looking for a fight here but why do some of you feel that those of us who foil are wrong. Some of the state and national champions foil thier butts.

Hell, just this weekend I saw Pigs on the Run using suran wrap on his pork during the cook. He just won in Chesapeke using this method.

I for one dont want hard crusty chunks in my Q. I prefer moist and tender pulled pork.

I realize that everyone has thier own opionion of what good Q is. All I am saying is quit chastizing those of us who choose to foil.

Re: aluminum pans

bige1 said:
how do you all use aluminum pans while cooking , do you put the meat in the pan or the pan under the meat ?

BigE1, I use an aluminum foil sheet turned up on the ends to hold the juices when I do brisket. I use the juices to mop as it cooks. I also put the fat side up.

Larry Wolfe said:
DaleP said:

No offense taken Larry but remember that there are more than one way to do just about everything, skinning cats or cooking P butts. The guys that were useing saran wrap were set up like they knew what they were doing. You should have seen how they cooked brisket. I would tell you but I dont think you could handle it. :razz:

DaleP said:
Larry Wolfe said:
DaleP said:

No offense taken Larry but remember that there are more than one way to do just about everything, skinning cats or cooking P butts. The guys that were useing saran wrap were set up like they knew what they were doing. You should have seen how they cooked brisket. I would tell you but I dont think you could handle it. :razz:
Did it involve pop-up timers? :razz:

wittdog said:
DaleP said:
Larry Wolfe said:
DaleP said:

Did it involve pop-up timers? :razz:
I always buy the briskets with the pop-up timers. 8-[

Back
Top Bottom