Another Mothersday Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Last night I got into a very good brisket discussion with Steer Crazy….well today while picking up a few things at the store I came across a very nice 13lb Full Packer for 1.69lb….now usually the only thing I can find around here is the flats and they run over 3 bucks a lb…So we picked it up and promptly injected it and tossed it to Buford….The brisket has been on for about 8 hrs and is at 150* right now…It’s going to be a long but good night.
Just tossed on Buford

8 hours in

ScottyDaQ said:
That looks killer !

Now when you say "a good looking brisket" ...How did you arrive at that? I'm always interested in what people look for in a "good brisket".
I look for flexiblily...color...marbeling...and the price was right...also the brisket came from the left side of the cow.. :D

The Missing Link said:
Ok i ask! How the heck do you know it came from the left side. Let the bull shi@#$% begin. :LOL: 8) :oops:
Link I thought u was from TEXAS :D
You can tell by the shape of the brisket and which side the fat is on....at least that whut my good buddy BW done told me.... :D :D
BTW nice to see you back and posting...BW and Link
Scotty everything but the side of the brisket was a real answer..

i have seen brisket cut off the cow and i never notice a differenc in the way the fat looks our the shape hope i spelled that right. LOL I don;t know just trying to add to the bull! 8) :LOL:

The Missing Link said:
i have seen brisket cut off the cow and i never notice a differenc in the way the fat looks our the shape hope i spelled that right. LOL I don;t know just trying to add to the bull! 8) :LOL:
If you cut a chicken in half..you can tell which side is which right...why is that so different than a brisket... :D

wittdog said:
Last night I got into a very good brisket discussion with Steer Crazy….well today while picking up a few things at the store I came across a very nice 13lb Full Packer for 1.69lb….now usually the only thing I can find around here is the flats and they run over 3 bucks a lb…So we picked it up and promptly injected it and tossed it to Buford….The brisket has been on for about 8 hrs and is at 150* right now…It’s going to be a long but good night.
Just tossed on Buford

8 hours in

comin along nicely...hopefully mine will look as good!

Marbling is the kicker for me. (I know it sounds odd to look for a nice marble on such a tough/lean cut) ... I look at several and look for the small dots and lines of fat on the meat side. But IMHO, it's worth the extra time to do the inspection. They usually come out real moist.

at least with a chicken you can see witch side you cut it off of. most of the time you don't see you beef cut up and if you did you probley want eat it anyway. That like when i showed my son were chicken come from and stall to this day he will not eat chicken LOL. he only 4! I know i miss up and the wife is holding that one over my head. LOL :LOL: 8) :oops:

The Missing Link said:
at least with a chicken you can see witch side you cut it off of. most of the time you don't see you beef cut up and if you did you probley want eat it anyway. That like when i showed my son were chicken come from and stall to this day he will not eat chicken LOL. he only 4! I know i miss up and the wife is holding that one over my head. LOL :LOL: 8) :oops:
I don't know when I told the boys we were going to be sleeping in a tent at a comp..MJ asked if we can kill the meat for cooking :shock:
My boys got a kick out of seeing a farm and cooking a little bitty piggy..which they still want to do..maybe this summer...

Cliff I only foil when I rest my brisket....and here it is getting ready to rest..Brisket is done and now for the longest hour or two…the rest…man I hate this part……I pumped the heat up after it got out of it’s stall…(on second thought I didn’t want to be up till 4 with this thing)…..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom