An honest WSM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry
In an 18" pit with coals spread over the top the difference in temp on the other side of the pit is not enough to make any difference. There are a number of pits (vertical cookers) that work very well and use only one vent, like Backwoods or Spicewine as an example. All I'm saying it has served me well for more than a few years.
Jim

did you do a smaller mass of meat on this cook than usual Greg? that could make a difference too...

have you used your wind enclosure before? might just take some getting used to ....

sounds to me like for what ever reason it just hadn't stabilized when you left it for the night

jminion said:
Larry
In an 18" pit with coals spread over the top the difference in temp on the other side of the pit is not enough to make any difference. There are a number of pits (vertical cookers) that work very well and use only one vent, like Backwoods or Spicewine as an example. All I'm saying it has served me well for more than a few years.
Jim

Jim,
I respect what you are saying, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one (quote-G Gordon Liddy).

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Upon further review of the assembled WSM...there is a small out of round diagnosis...running maybe 5 inches in length...not a huge gap in width by any means, but perhaps enough to fuel a slow burn upward!

Any ideas on how to fix it...let's remember, I am not handy! :eek:

Bruce B said:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

No No Bruce. I'm not trying to start anything. Jim and I just have a difference of opinions, no big deal. If everyone agreed on things, the world would be a boring place.

Greg Rempe said:
Upon further review of the assembled WSM...there is a small out of round diagnosis...running maybe 5 inches in length...not a huge gap in width by any means, but perhaps enough to fuel a slow burn upward!

See Greg if you left the dang thing outside instead of beating the hell out of it taking it in and out of the attic you wouldn't have this problem. :grin: Squeeze some aluminum foil in the crack, that should fix it.

Greg Rempe said:

If you are talking about the body orientation on the charcoal section, a simple turn may be all that is required.

I have a slight out-of-round but I assemble mine lining up the two sections in the same place every time and it works for me.

When you put the body on press down in a few places and see it it wobbles on the charcoal bowl. If so try turning it until you have a snug wobble free fit.

I'm with Larry on this one. Put a little foil in the seam where you say it is out of round. Don't force the foil in, you may make it worse. Then try another cook and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom