A Slab of Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
I ran across a five pound +, single slab, of non-injected spares at Sam’s for $2.17 a pound; generally they are in packages of three so I grabbed it. Cut it down to St Louis style and had a couple of other nice chunks as well. Decide to try a piece of chuck roast in the Trager, I usually do it in the Smokin Tex as it retains moisture extremely well but wanted to see what happened in a dry environment. Ribs went into the freezer, man if you want to feed a crowd this is the way to go; these guys are big and tasty. The other chunk will be used in the next batch of beans. The chuck roast, as I expected, was tasty but dry, not at all like from the Smokin Tex, it comes out like a pulled pork butt when I do it in that.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/ ... eshow=true

Cliff H. said:
Looks good to me. Did the thermometer work for ya ? Waht temp did you take it to ?

The thermometer is a Taylor, I've had two of them for 4-5 years now and both work fine. Took the chuck to 165 then foiled to 195, it was tasty but dry. Butts & beef are excellent out of the Smokin Tex because it retains so much moisture, the Traeger is best with ribs & chicken.

John, the spares I got from Sam's weighed 13,5lbs. for a pack of three. They are big also.

Oz said:
John, the spares I got from Sam's weighed 13,5lbs. for a pack of three. They are big also.

Three of those monsters are way more than I need at one time, I'll have to keep an eye out for the occasional loner.

Back
Top Bottom