A little mid week cook with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Did a little cooking today for my aunt’s 80th surprise BD party in WVa this weekend (please don’t tell her) and for a couple of customers. I decided this would be a good opportunity to do a little experimenting with rubs on the butts & chuck. Used my homemade and two commercial ones for the comparisons – will hold everything else the same. As I said in an earlier post, we love to do tastings around here. Smoking with oak and cherry. Did 2 butts, 6 chucks, 6 chickens, a piece of brisket, 3 slabs, and a turkey breast. Then did some wings for hot wings for dinner.

Forgot the raw chicken pics, but here’s the finished – just natural juice and a little salt. Wrapped at 150* and pulled at 165*, then rested for about 30minutes prior to pulling.

The baby backs have my rub and glazed with some Tennessee River Cranberry Delight BBQ Sauce – I really like it as a glaze. Meant to sprinkle on a little Billy Bones Cherry but forgot – it goes really well with the Cranberry Delight. Here’s a finished pic.

The pork butt has my rub and Billy Bones Cherry on one and Billy’s Comp and Cherry on the other. If I start selling mine, you’ll know which I liked best. Actually, Bev and I both liked Billy’s best. Wrapped at 168* and pulled at 198*.

The chucks had Billy Bones Beefmaster on three and Wolfe Bold on three. Got them mixed up so couldn’t make a comparison – I hate it when I do that – oh well. Wrapped at 165* and pulled at 203*. Both needed more rub.

A shot of my BBQ spot and a little cabinet holding my stuff that I roll out to the pit area.

Hey big dude,

If I may ask, how did you hear about Billy Bones Rubs and how did you get his cherry rub, I had a sample of it in April but I wasn't aware it was on the market yet.

Bruce B said:
Hey big dude,

If I may ask, how did you hear about Billy Bones Rubs and how did you get his cherry rub, I had a sample of it in April but I wasn't aware it was on the market yet.

Heard about it on another board. Just go to www.billybonesbbq.com to buy some. It doesn't say it, but he sells mixed cases.

Back
Top Bottom