A BBQ Cook's Paradox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just posted this on my blog and thought y'all might appreciate it.

-----

A BBQ Cook's Paradox

This past weekend I had the privilege of cooking a brisket for a friend's
party. My philosophy about cooking, as corny as it sounds, is that each
meal is a gift on a plate. So, to me occasions like this are a cherished
thing. I always look forward to opportunities to share what I love with
family and friends.

HotFastBrisket_1_1_640.jpg

On this particular occasion my friend from work, Beverly, asked me to cook
a brisket for her friend Winnie's birthday.

Herein lies the BBQ cook's paradox. Why is it that I can't cook in
competition the way I do in the comfort of my backyard? Why is it that, at
a competition, no matter how much I try to tell myself, "Just relax and do
what you do.", it rarely works? Why do I over-think things and change
what I do on-the-fly in the endless pursuit to please six judges?

This particular brisket cook followed the pattern of many more before it.
There was no pressure of a turn-in or judging, and it ended up being one of
the best briskets that I've ever cooked. It's bittersweet situation that, at
least for me, is much more sweet than bitter. Pleasing real folks with real
barbecue that is prepared with love and care is what it's really all about.

I thank Beverly for the opportunity to serve her guests, and I can tell you
that the outpouring of accolades from her friends, and especially the very
sweet e-mail that I received from the guest of honor, Winnie, are worth
much more to me than a trophy. And that's not because it made me feel
like some sort of brisket hero, but because it brought an extra measure of
joy to the occasion. I was humbled, happy, and proud to have had the
opportunity.

-----

John

I've never done a comp, but can see that the no pressure situation is far easier and more fun. My problem is the brisket, maybe with I few more I will feel it was a gift rather than just getting rid of a bad cook :LOL: I'm going to try again next week and will report back.

Don't rule out what you are NOT doing in the back yard that you ARE doing in a comp. I say this knowing not what you DO but knowing what I WOULD DO in a comp.

Heavy MSG, Heavy usage of injected chemicals designed to enhance the flavor of meat. Trying to make a piece of meat that is intended to be eaten hot taste good when it is cold. ect, ect.

Competition BBQ sucks for a meal, kinda what Lazybones serves. If you served Competition BBQ and Backyard BBQ to 100 people, I guarantee you 100 people would prefer Backyard BBQ. BBQ Competitions are no different than playing poker, it's a game of chances, is not worth the money people spend doing it and you're left with alot of pretty inedible food. The only good thing about Competition BBQ is the comradary!

Cliff H. said:
Don't rule out what you are NOT doing in the back yard that you ARE doing in a comp. I say this knowing not what you DO but knowing what I WOULD DO in a comp.

Heavy MSG, Heavy usage of injected chemicals designed to enhance the flavor of meat. Trying to make a piece of meat that is intended to be eaten hot taste good when it is cold. ect, ect.

Yup, exactly. I was referring to what I don't do in the backyard that I do do at a comp.

John

Comp's are crazy but fun. Most fun I had at a comp was a few years ago at Oink. oompappy, Bruce, Uncle Bubba, Dallas, Wood Man, Witt Dog and crew, Greg evan showed up Griff, John. BTGG, Diva, Funnest thing I can recall is sitting with Valdo and Diva sticking her head out of the trailer yelling at Valdo at 3:00AM "Are you sure every thing is all right?" :LOL: Don't recall who had the Knob Creek, but Val busted me with the bottle swung right up on end. That did not go over well at all. :roll:

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Comp's are crazy but fun. Most fun I had at a comp was a few years ago at Oink. oompappy, Bruce, Uncle Bubba, Dallas, Wood Man, Witt Dog and crew, Greg evan showed up Griff, John. BTGG, Diva, Funnest thing I can recall is sitting with Valdo and Diva sticking her head out of the trailer yelling at Valdo at 3:00AM "Are you sure every thing is all right?" :LOL: Don't recall who had the Knob Creek, but Val busted me with the bottle swung right up on end. That did not go over well at all. :roll:

Pigs

Who is Evan? :LOL:

You need to have a party within your own mind during competition, however
that may be. Have a beer and have some real buds on your team.

At the competition, your food is judged. At the party, your food is loved and enjoyed. And it's an easy call which one will be remembered longer.

John I can relate. We just lost a team member for the very same reasons you write about. He went back to cooken for friends and family in the back yard. That is where his true passion lies. For me, I may do the same after a few grand champions. For now it’s been fun getting some top 10 calls but I have yet to feel I’ve conquered the sport. Til then it’s back to the next one.

Back
Top Bottom