20lb bags of 100% Natural Charcoal for $2.99 at Home Depot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know but I would be real cautious about thinking this product is the same as purchased at or near the regular price. Having worked in retail for over 15 years at one time in my life, if it's too good to be true, it probably is too to be true! Maybe I'm wrong but I would try a bag right away so I could return the rest if required.

PantherTailgater said:
I don't know but I would be real cautious about thinking this product is the same as purchased at or near the regular price. Having worked in retail for over 15 years at one time in my life, if it's too good to be true, it probably is too to be true! Maybe I'm wrong but I would try a bag right away so I could return the rest if required.

Well, 2 weeks ago it was $4.99 a bag when I bought it. This weekend it dropped to $2.99 a bag. Not sure how they can sell it for less and it still be at regular price? Then again, I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying?

My guess is that one of 2 things happened.

A) The Original Charcoal Company and Home Depot had a contract. Some thing fell through and HD was stuck with a bunch of product. So they dump the product for right at, or just above cost so they don't loose any thing.

B) Then again, that could have been the plan all along just to help The Original Charcoal Company break this new product into the market?

Tim

I bought 4 bags last Sunday at $4.99 a bag. Today I took my receipt back to Home Depot and they credited me the difference between $4.99 and $2.99 so I bought 4 more bags. I now have 8 bags. I haven't used The Original Charcoal briquettes before but I have used their lump charcoal which I think is very good.

Just guessing, but I've figured that these Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend sales on charcoal have been a draw to get people into the store looking at grilling and barbecuing equipment. Some of us just zoom in and grab charcoal, but the once-in-a-rare-while backyard chef is who they're aiming at. Just guessing. :)

--John 8)

CarolinaQue said:
PantherTailgater said:

Well, 2 weeks ago it was $4.99 a bag when I bought it. This weekend it dropped to $2.99 a bag. Not sure how they can sell it for less and it still be at regular price? Then again, I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying?

My guess is that one of 2 things happened.

A) The Original Charcoal Company and Home Depot had a contract. Some thing fell through and HD was stuck with a bunch of product. So they dump the product for right at, or just above cost so they don't loose any thing.

B) Then again, that could have been the plan all along just to help The Original Charcoal Company break this new product into the market?

Tim

Having worked in retail for a long time, I'm a little skeptical. The product may be the same quality as that produced for sale at regular price. Maybe Home Depot submitted a HUGE order in order to get a great price on the product. On the other hand, the producer may have taken some liberties with the production process that would produce a charcoal close to thier normal quality but not quite the same. Those changes in their process or the quality of the materials they used in production may have created some savings in their production costs. If it performs up to your expectations, that's all that matters. There's no doubt that's a great price.

It's called a Lost Leader. Guys will come for the charcoal and if they bring thier wives with them..........The leader is not lost.

Except for Diva and Allie......They come for the charcoal. :LOL:

Cliff H. said:
It's called a Lost Leader. Guys will come for the charcoal and if they bring thier wives with them..........The leader is not lost.

Except for Diva and Allie......They come for the charcoal. :LOL:

Lost Leaders are typically items that are popular with the general public. I wouldn't consider "lump" charcoal one of those items. Could be though.

Panther,

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense to me now. Although I don't think that this is an inferior product that they're trying to move. But if it is, I would really like to try the good stuff!

Tim

I did a little test run with this on some brats tonight.
It was a little slow firing up in the chimney. But once it was dumped(about 30min. ) into the cooker it fired up real nice . Very uniform.
I think it burned a little hotter than KF.
Well worth the $$$$

Sooooo......hopefully it's still on sale Tuesday :D

Puff said:
It was a little slow firing up in the chimney. But once it was dumped(about 30min. ) into the cooker it fired up real nice . Very uniform.
How's the ash compare to KF, can you tell?

--John 8)

Unity said:
Puff said:
How's the ash compare to KF, can you tell?

--John 8)
I'll go look........Be right back ;)

Grabbed up the last 8 bags my Home Depot had this morning, 160lbs should last me for a while.

Green Hornet said:
Puff said:
Way less.....and still hot enough to roast a marshmallow :shock:
Be right back!!! :LOL:
No marshmellow pics=no roast!
:LOL: [smilie=a_doh.gif]

James I'll bet that turkey fryer really gets it going quick. I have to get me one :D

Back
Top Bottom