20 Butt cook is finally over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Here they are.....The last six of twenty butts that I have been smoking on with a uds and an 18" wsm for the last two days.

img_216403_0_54214c58ac400c36ce2140de3e408ced.jpg

img_216403_1_bdc1391e88a5fc43021909c4f0011b7b.jpg

I started the first 10 on Tue at 9AM. They were all off the smokers by 4AM on Wed morning. I coolered them and rested for two...no....more like 1 hour and 15 min.

Then it was time to burn off the grates with the gas grill. That was interesting with all those pork butt fat footprints. By 6AM I was cleaning out the ash and scooping drippings from the bottom of the uds and cleaning out and reassembling the wsm.

I managed to prep, rub and start smoking 4 butts on the wsm while I took the kids to school. by 9AM I was rubbinng the other 6 butts. Finally at 10AM I had two somewhat lukewarm smokers running.

I had to put a wind break up and then the temps began to rise good. The uds had six of the ten done in about 8 hours which suprised me because the temps never seemed to get above 270. The wsm on the other hand was running about the same temps but the internal temps were running 40 deg behind. Go figure.

I pulled the last foiled butt at around 9PM on Wed night.

img_216403_2_e4df72c9638253238a7c4e51f5e751c0.jpg

img_216403_3_2da7c46f3a75e0b3d405deef34d3a4f0.jpg

img_216403_4_c0c8de9d18b549402042076ab429aefc.jpg

I still have to vac seal the remaining 6 butts into 3lb packages.

Here is what I want to know :

Who in thier right mind would ever want to open a bbq resturant ? You would have to be some kind of a crazy machine.

I don't care if I see another pork butt for AT LEAST two weeks.

That sure is a lot of butts. How long did it take you to pull all of that? Looks Great

To answer the why question: This was a Church youth function that was in Nashville. We did the same thing last year and I took 10 butts. I brought unused packages back last year but we were pretty sure that we would need more this year because we were going to be feeding about 160 people.

After it was all over, I ended up with right at 100lbs of pulled pork. Over two days we ate 64 lbs. I have 13 packs in the freezer now. I need to run the math on this to see what we really need for next year.

That was some good looking Q you did for a big group. Last year I cooked for 60 firefighters for a lunch at a class we all were taking. It was the 3rd year i had cooked for this class. Each year the class size got bigger. I was wondering if it was from the bbq lunch. I fiqured .375 of a pound per person. Served the q on a bun. It came out to .250 of a pound per person. Each person could put on as much q as they wanted to. I thought everybody went skimpy on the serving. I started to wonder if I had done a bad job on the cooking. After the class I told them they could take home the left overs or have some at the class room now. They all inhaled the stuff. They said if they had piled it on like they wanted to they all would be to sleepy after the class. Let us know what you fiqured it came out to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom