2 Butts for a Family Gathering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
My second oldest son came home from Portland OR for the week with his wife and my oldest sister came in from Oakland CA so I offered to host the family gathering. We ended up with 17 of us and the menu was pulled pork, 2 almost 9 lb. butts, cole slaw, corn pudding, jello pretzel salad and pineapple upside down cake for dessert. We started off with Surfin Sapo Crab Meat ABT's and my own version of Moink Balls. I do the Moinks in dark brown sugar and chili powder and then bast them with sweet sour sauce as they grill. The PP was done ala Lee Ann Whippen with Trim Tabb's Pig Powder cooked with the fat cap on and up. I tried injecting and I do not think I would do it again as I do not think it made a big difference. I'm having a problem with my Cyber Q II so I used my Nano Q and Maverick and I did not have the problems I had doing that brisket "Old Style." I rubbed and injected the pork at 8AM Saturday and put it on the WSM at 8PM Saturday night. It hit 190° at 11AM Sunday so I pulled them, wrapped them in foil, plastic and another foil wrap a big beach towel and then in the cooler. I pulled them at 4PM and the temperature was still 145°. I got rave reviews from the crowd, I thought one butt was great and the other seemed a little dry, I'm not sure why??? All in all I have to say I was as please with this cook as I was disappointed with my brisket cook a couple weeks ago. I am going to get back in the "Brisket Horse" when I get back to Michigan in a couple weeks.

Outstanding Buzz. I'd come over for that! Love the custom ABT holder!!! :D Ohio being a not so big BBQ state like California, You ever get what is this?? or how do you make a pulled pork sandwich. I sure do.

My family knows and loves PP and most do a sandwich with cole slaw on, even have a couple who like a vinegar dressing like Reverend Marvin's. My wife is a fan of a bowl of PP with slaw in the same bowl. I guess we combine the Eastern Carolina, Western Carolina and maybe some KC in there :LOL:

Great looking stuff there Buzz. Great color on the pork and moink balls. I love the ABT rack too. IMO a pulled pork sandwich isn't complete without coleslaw.

All around some GREAT looking grubb you got there BBQuzz! I'd find myself mighty comfortable kicking back all of that. Isn't it interesting how 2 butts cooked at the same time, temp and preparedness turn out different. Goes to explain the difficulty of BBQ comps. Glad you had a back up for your "forced air computerized equipment". :roll: :P I'd hate for you to have to "learn" how to smoke "Old Style" BBQ. :roll: :shock: :roll: :LOL: :P :LOL: :P Really looking forward to your next brisket cook in Michigan!

Very nice spread Buzz. You really did a great job on the butts. I have a couple I need to do in the next few days. Hope they come out as nice as yours.

I haven't tried MOINK balls yet. Maybe this weekend will be the time. It must have been a great week for you with your family all there to pat you on the back. Give yourself a gold star and a big At-A-Boy, boy!

Griff said:
The food looked Buzz. What is jello pretzel salad?

Thanks Griff, Pretzel Salad is great, easy to make and almost dessert like.

• Pretzel Salad •

Ingredients

2 cups Pretzels -- Crushed
1/2 cup Sugar, White -- To mix with pretzels
1 1/2 sticks Margarine -- Room Tempature
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar, White
8 oz Cool Whip
1 package Gelatin, Strawberry -- Large 6 oz. Package
2 cups Water -- Boiling
2 package Strawberries, Frozen (not whole) -- 10 oz. Packages

Instructions

Mix pretzels, ½ cup sugar and margarine. Spread in lightly greased 9 X 13 inch pan bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Mix cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and whipped topping and spread over pretzel layer. Dissolve gelatin in hot water and add strawberries and their juice to the gelatin. Put in fridge And let set partially (@1/2 hour), then spread on top of cream layer and chill thoroughly.

Printed from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh

Man O Man bbquzz You know how to throwdown a
Family Feast! Everything looks outstandin' brother ;)

YUM!

8)

Back
Top Bottom