1st Attempt @ comp chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I marinated the chicken for approx. 8 hours in Zesty Italian dressing. Rubbed down with Head Country Rub (thanks BS), then smoked around 235* with hickory chunks for about an hour and a half. Then placed in an aluminum pan with Sweet Baby Rays, covered with HD AF and put on the gasser for about forty five minutes on low. Then grilled direct for approx 10 mins. My family loved it. I had higher expections I suppose. It was very good, but I was expecting WOW!! Would I do it again, absolutely. But right now, I'd prefer Roadside Chicken.

Larry Wolfe said:
. But right now, I'd prefer Roadside Chicken.
Yeah man!!! :happyd: Good shi...um.stuff!

Looks great Larry! As always..... :!:

Actually the potato salad sucked!!! God was it awful. We paid an arm and a leg for this "gourmet" potato salad from Safeway. Lesson learned!!

Captain Morgan said:
SBR is your problem.

You think?? Something was missing. Could have been the sauce. I really thought the Italian dressing would have come through more than it did. I'll try it again w/a different sauce.

Greg Rempe said:
I suppose I could have "FORCED" it in to my mouth...looks really good!

Oh don't get me wrong, it was very good. I guess I was expecting it to be "smack your momma" good.

Looked good to me Larry. Just have to work on the presentation a little. The garnish was a little on the wild side. I just present mine on green leaf lettus. :!: :!:

Last time I made comp. chicken I used Newman's, HC rub, and HC Hot and Mild mixed 1/2 and 1/2. Turned out better than average but I wouldn't put it in front of judges. I'm working on a Mojo Crillo to give the marinade more pop. If anybody has Bigwheels old recipe it does well. Maybe Raine will post it. Chicken still eludes me!

Good Q!

Jack

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":2en7oq43]SBR is your problem.

You think?? Something was missing. Could have been the sauce. I really thought the Italian dressing would have come through more than it did. I'll try it again w/a different sauce.[/quote:2en7oq43]

The SBR profile is very popular. Thick and sweet is the name of the game in that arena. I watched some guys next to me in Greenville last year cook on a weber kettle. They had a serious fire going and cooked the chicken in less than 1 hour. Flames were shooting all over the place. They put on a thick sweet sauce. 1st place. I spent probably 8 hours on the project including 2 hours in a WSM. Followed the marinate in zesty italian, cook over lump, glazed with Stumps sweet with a healty shot of maple syurp. The stuff was really good. Bottom 1/2. I kicked about it all the way home. Mary had to tell me to shut up about it. I've been at the drawing board ever since.

Good Q!

Jack

I used the SBR, I really like that on chicken and ribs. I'm not sure if it was the sauce. I'll try it again, I was probably the chef's error on this cook!

well you were cooking for yourself, and judging by the flavor profile of the rub you sent me, the SBR would probably seem bland to you.
It would be a fine base for you to work with.

Couple things.

When doing Italian dressing marinade (I use it mostly on lamb), I use Good Seasons salad dressing mix. It's those dry packets you mix with vinegar and oil to make your own Italian dressing. Only I never make dressing. I make marinades, or more often sprinkle on just the dry spices (an Italian rub of sorts). This way I can control the amount of spice, oil, vinegar, or any other ingredient.

Second, what's "HD AF"?

Griff

Back
Top Bottom