12lb Packer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm finally getting around to cooking my last packer I had in the freezer. I separated the point and the flat and rubbed generously with Wolfe Rub. The points gonna be chopped and sauced and the flat sliced. I'm using Kingsford, hickory chunks and sand in the pan.

Greg Rempe said:
Looking like a good start, Larry? Why not a few mesquite chunks for the meat? :D

Not a bad idea Greg. I don't have any right now, but may get some for my next beef cook.

brian j said:
looks like you're off to a great start. you off work today? my hung over @ss had to come to work today. :-(

I had already planned on taking off today, no hangover either!

Well here's pic's of the 4.5 hour mark. The flat is foiled and the point is still rendering! Flats at 176 now, so it won't be long!

I saw a site where they show you how to separate the point from the flat. Does anyone know about this? Share the website??

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
I saw a site where they show you how to separate the point from the flat. Does anyone know about this? Share the website??
Bruce posted that somewhere you might be able to find it if you do a search.

It's done......... not 100% happy with the results............. Tossed the burnt ends into Skippy P's (good stuff).

Looks good from where I am sitting. =D> What temp did you pull the point at?

Chris

chris1237 said:
Looks good from where I am sitting. =D> What temp did you pull the point at?

Chris

Chris I pulled it around 190, it was fine. The flat was what I wasn't 100% happy with. It was good, just not as tender as I'd like it. Did everything the same way I always do. Temps ran a bit high this cook, that was probably the cause.

I forgot to mention, Reverend Marvins is good in beans as well! I took a big can of Bush's original beans, mixed approx. 1/4 cup of each of Rev's hot & Ketchup and about 2 TBS of Wolfe Rub. Simmered for about 30 minutes, turned out pretty good. Had I added some kind of meat, onions, bell peppers, etc., they would have been much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom