12 racks hanging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MMMMM,
That looks good. What do you do to keep them from getting dry during the cooking process? Looks like they would be a little hard to squirt or brush without separating them while cooking.

I have not had dinner yet, now I'm starving! :D

That's a great technique! Do you find that any of the rub comes off as they cook and drip, compared to laying them flat? Also what are you using for the hangers?

Brian
Paul Kirk does recommend hanging meat but if you see his pit you will understand why. As Wboggs said can do more product not much more of a reason for it.

Jim

brian j said:
looks great. paul kirk recomends hanging ribs while cooking. does anyone know the advantage of this?

From what I understand, it helps them self baste. Instead of the juice cooking off and through a rack laying flat, the juice in this case would run down the length of the rack, basting it along the way.

I usually cook mine on a 300* to 325* indirect fire so they don't have much of a chance to dry out. But when cooking that many for a gig, I would also hang them.

Tim

wboggs said:
brian j said:
wboggs said:
Yes water can come from meat too but lets change the venue; water comes out of your tail pipe on your car. Water is a by product of combustion.

Just for the sake of good conversation and the promotion of knowledge for all of us: ;)

I think if your wood is seasoned properly at 20% moisture content or below you shouldn't see moisture/condensation from the wood as it burns. It's more likely condensation from temp/humidity differentials with in the smoker. No?

It's my understanding that the water dribbling from the tail pipe of a car was from a condensation build up in the exhaust pipe as the exhaust pipe heated up from a cooled state. Not from the combustion of the fuel. As the temps equalize the water stops coming out of the tailpipe.

Let me ask you this, If you start with a clean, dry, empty smoker and you heat up your pit to cooking temp do you find that it's full of condensation when you open it to put the meat into the smoker?

I try to learn something new everyday! Thanks! :LOL:

Let me ask this then. Is water a product or byproduct of combustion? The water comes from the air not the fuel right?

Boggs is the man. My Stump clone does the same with regard to moisture in the cooking chamber and the fuel chute. My fuel chute lid is not insulated and condensation builds up so badly that the inside top 10" of my fuel chute is clad in rust. I started opening the fuel chute lid after a cook to let the fire burn up the chute some in order to dry it out. Steam comes out of the cooker when you pop open the door on mine. Low air flow is the reason the Stumps style cookers retain the combustion vapors. The firebox air intake is a 2" ball valve that is 1/4 - 1/3 open when cooking a full load (150 -200 lbs.)and the exhaust is a 3" pipe.

Ahh yes, the old Thermal Coulomb. :LOL: I'm familiar with a regular old electric charge type Coulomb but never dabbled in thermodynamics. I'll take your word for it whilst I do my homework. ;)

No matter how dry the wood is there is still moisture in it...burn the wood release the moisture....We've had issues at work with Hydrogen being traped in the metal form the charcoal cover we use....

Back
Top Bottom