12 racks hanging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
t_4i_a73fm_5505abe.jpg

I keep going back to this picture. It's downright inspirational. :shock:

--John 8)
(I'm like SJ -- having that many good looking racks available all at once would tempt a guy to way overindulge! :D )

mikey30345 said:
Nice to see you here, MISTER Minion.

Always a real pleasure having a Pro, on board !@

Mikey Lulejian
(Back after a long, long absence)
On Lake Oconee in Georgia

Dang Mikey,

It's really good to see you here. The last time we were in the same place was on the porch. It's been longer than a while.

Welcome to the Pit.

Jack Waiboer

Well dont even know where to get started on this one:) Will begin by saying I dont own a Stumps or a BWS but do cook almost exclusively in the upright section of my pit. Fire on the bottom..water pan next..then the meat. Next confession is I aint never tried hanging any ribs in there but have smoked copious amounts of sausage in the hanging configuration. Whut I noticed on the first rattle out of the box was the bottom of the sausage got done quicker than the top..taking a wild guess cuz the bottoms be getting pounded the hardest since it closer to the fire. The solution for sausage was to form the links into hoops..so you let it cook for a while then you reach in and give it a spin on the dowels a few times during the process to even out the heat and that makes everything ok. Cant imagine it would work much different on dangling racks of ribs i.e. the bottoms are going to cook themselves faster than the tops..so would predict at some point them ribs are going to need to swap ends in order to cook evenly from stem to stern. Know this be applicable to a BWS also cuz I have talked to enough folks who own em who do admit despite the hollow wall construction and upper heat registers etc..they still cook hotter on the bottom than the top since the bottom is closer to the heat source. Now are we claiming Stumps dont suffer from this dielemma? Or if it do..do you got to swap ends with the hanging ribs occasionally? If not why not? As soon as we get this one outta the way let us get back to the moisture retention/production aspects of the operation. Thanks.

bigwheel

Jack W. said:
mikey30345 said:
Nice to see you here, MISTER Minion.

Always a real pleasure having a Pro, on board !@

Mikey Lulejian
(Back after a long, long absence)
On Lake Oconee in Georgia

Dang Mikey,

It's really good to see you here. The last time we were in the same place was on the porch. It's been longer than a while.

Welcome to the Pit.

Jack Waiboer

Jack
The Porch those were some interesting days, it has been a long time.
Jim

The diverter plate in the bottom of the cooker directs the smoke/ heat outward to the walls where it rises and mixes in the cooking chamber. The first test you do on a Stumps cooker is to place many store bought biscuits on the grates and cook. The biscuits all cooked evenly on the top 4 shelves, of my 5 shelf unit. The bottom shelf did finish earlier, but they cooked evenly. I believe the key to the air flow question lies in the fact that these cookers have a very low rate of air flow not a blast of heat that you have to put tuning plates in the way in order to cook with relative ease. I cook with a 5 gallon bucket of lump for 15 hours at 200 -225 degrees. Water is a byproduct of combustion.

Dang these lessons on the byproducts of combustion is sorta like going back to arson school. You know the biggest cause of house fires? They told us it was "friction." That be where the Mortage and the Insurance Policy gets to rubbing together too briskly and it just bursts the place into flames:) Think I get the pitcher on the dangling ribs. The bottoms do get a bit more heat than the tops...but not enough to worry with. Do this be hot or cold? Thanks.

bigwheel

Boggs, can I get your permission to use the rib picture for my avatar?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom