11:30 PM Butt and Brisket on the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris Finney said:
I think my Plateau movement was wishful thinking. Still at 154* and 153*.
I may check my coals soon. I should still be okay but want to add before I NEED to.

Always put more in than you think you'll need. That way you don't extend your cook by having to fiddle with the fire. You can always re-use the leftovers, so there's no waste!

I think my brisket's broken. lol
It had a couple hour plateau at 150* then started rising, stoped again at 161* and won't budge. Been there a long time.
The butt was there along time also, but is now up to 173*.
Pit temp dropped a little but I just gave th coals a stir so that should bring it back up.

Chris Finney said:
I think my brisket's broken. lol
It had a couple hour plateau at 150* then started rising, stoped again at 161* and won't budge. Been there a long time.
The butt was there along time also, but is now up to 173*.
Pit temp dropped a little but I just gave th coals a stir so that should bring it back up.

One hopes you might have alternate dinner plans. :-(

I've seen 'em hang at the 160 mark for hours, then again I've seen 'em roll right on through. All depends on the cow I guess. Brisket at dark is not a bad thing.

Pork sounds like it might get there. :)

Good Q!

Jack

Yes Jackie buddy, This is one stubburn cow. I thought I was past the plateau when it hung at 150* and started moving again. Figures I would get two plateaus With both the brisket and the butt. Both at 150* and both at 161*. Luckily the butt decided to move on. I think Mr. Brisket just likes it where he's at too much. 8-[

Okay... so now it seems that Mr Brisket wasn't as stubborn as Mr Nu-Temp transmitter #3 was just tight lipped. The 161* plateau was there, and some time during that point #3 decide he didn't need to 'phone home' any more. Well the plateau ebded at some point and now we are at 180*. A little longer an it is coming off and going into foil and the cooler. =D>

Damn you #3. :-X

Brisket is in the cooler and resting since 6PM.
The cooking grates used for it are all cleaned up.

Butt is still in the WSM and at 181*.

I'll at least get to eat a couple slices of brisket tonight.

Pork and brisket will be served tomorrow evening for 'Bourbon Night', along with red beans and rice, and collards. (probably)

As Scarlett O'Hara said, "O' fiddle -de-dee... Tomorrow is another day"

Boy if I were only 20 years younger and 200 miles closer, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. No ice by the way!

Chris, you're my new hero!

Kloset BBQR said:
Boy if I were only 20 years younger and 200 miles closer, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. No ice by the way!

Chris, you're my new hero!
Don't make me your hero. They're just friends.

Hell, I'm older than all of them are. I just forget to act it sometimes. Actually I do most of the time, I just like to have some fun.

Having a Guinness slushie right now. Put some in the freezer and forgot them. Not bad.

Butt came off at about 7:45 and is wrapped and in the cooler. Everything is cleaned up and I'm working on another Guinness slushie. Seems a shame to do all that cooking and have just beer for supper. I'll snack on some when I'm pull ing the pork into chunks. I'll do the finish pulling when I reheat it. Unfortunatly I left the Food Saver in NC, so it will have to just go into Ziplock bags. That's what it used to do anyway so no big deal. I think I'll go cut a slice or two of that brisket.

Back
Top Bottom