Turkey Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I have settled on two different type gumbos over the last years; Chicken/okra and seafood.
Twice now I have made the chicken recipe replacing the chicken thighs with turkey thighs. I use a pair of the turkey thighs, which are huge, by cutting the meat off the bones and browning it in the broiler. The skin and bones are simmered in a little water to make a usable broth.
The turkey gumbo is a lot better than the chicken. Turkey meat has a stronger flavor which works well with the strong other flavors in the mix.
Also, use lard to make the base roux.

Sounds good Rag. Will put the turkey thighs on the agenda for next time. Thanks for the tip.

Love Lard. Makes the best fried fish of any of the alternate choices. Never tried it for roux making but should be excellent. I used some Tonys instant Roux last time out of the chute and found it tolerable. In fact have used it before and thought it was purty good then too. Bought a jar of Savoie brand roux a few years back which seems like what the cajuns use in this area. Noticed it was based on cotton seed oil. That stuff gives bad heart burn nearly as bad as Canola or oleo marjoram. Now bacon grease should also be a winner for the Martha Stewart make your own roux types..lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom