Split Pea Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Well I made a ham last weekend and saved the leftover bone for soup for this weekend.

Everything is in the crockpot and should be ready around lunch time. I'll post finished pics then!

Okay, soup is done. WAY too salty. I just diced up some potatoes and threw them in and put it back on to simmer. I think I read somewhere that that will take away some of the saltiness. Lets hope!

1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste) (Should be 1 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
1 1/2 qts. hot water

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone

I would change the seasoned salt to 1 tsp next time. Other than that, it had a nice taste.

You crack the peas with your teeth and then spit them into the pot. That should have gotten rid of the salt for Nick. :D

Nick Prochilo said:
Okay, soup is done. WAY too salty. I just diced up some potatoes and threw them in and put it back on to simmer. I think I read somewhere that that will take away some of the saltiness. Lets hope!

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
1 1/2 qts. hot water

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone

I would change the seasoned salt to 1 tsp next time. Other than that, it had a nice taste.

Just a suggestion Nick, maybe next time, use less salt. :LOL: :LOL: Looks great though!!!!

Bruce B said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1fg7v9ur]Okay, soup is done. WAY too salty. I just diced up some potatoes and threw them in and put it back on to simmer. I think I read somewhere that that will take away some of the saltiness. Lets hope!

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
1 1/2 qts. hot water

Just a suggestion Nick, maybe next time, use less salt. :LOL: :LOL: Looks great though!!!![/quote:1fg7v9ur]

1.gif

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Diva Q":2jejirsr]if it is still too salty add some sugar and lemon juice.

Thanks. Any ratios I should use?[/quote:2jejirsr]

Wouldn't it just be easier to use less salt ?

I can tell you that the potato trick works. When I was a kid, my great grandma and grandma had a pot of chicken soup going, they both put salt in not knowing the other did, it worked. Only reason I know this is I was bringing wood in for the stove and they were swearing at each other like a couple of sailors. (till they saw me) I still get a laugh when I think about it. :LOL:

john pen said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2x5bftu4][quote="Diva Q":2x5bftu4]if it is still too salty add some sugar and lemon juice.

Thanks. Any ratios I should use?[/quote:2x5bftu4]

Wouldn't it just be easier to use less salt ?[/quote:2x5bftu4]

Yeah before hand, this is after the fact. I followed a recipe to the tee and look what happens!

Back
Top Bottom