Great Northern Bean and Ham Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
This recipe is done to my tastes and nothing was actually measured. This recipe as most recipes should be used as a guide, not a rule, so tweak it to your own tastes!

1 - Meaty Ham Bone (Smoked Ham Hocks or Smoked Turkey Legs can be substituted)
1 - 16oz bag of Great Northern Beans
1 - Large Onion medium dice (white or yellow)
3 - Large Carrots medium dice
2 - Celery Stalks medium dice
5 - Cloves of minced garlic
1 - TBS Thyme
2 - Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Water

Rinse the beans and then soak beans according to the instructions on the bag, either overnight or quick soak. Do not drain the water.

Add all of the ingredients above and more water if necessary to cover the ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and let simmer for 3-4 hours.

Discard ham bone and bay leaves and enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe Larry. Will have to give that one a try. We had a temp drop of about 50 degrees twixt yesterday and today. Should hit the spot.

bigwheel

Well first order of bizness is to cook a big ham so you have a big ham bone to work with. You would want to first eat the ham of course..which could take a matter of weeks..days or hours...or mins depending on how many hongry gluttonous grand chillins on a feeding frenzy a person is trying to feed. This project could have some varying completion time depending on circumstance. Wonder maybe could a person just throw a copula smoked pork hocks in there? Let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel

Bigwheel I've done that for pea soup, should work for this ... I also save the bones and some scrap from butt cooks in the freezer and use them for stock.

I get a lot of store bought smoked picnics/butts for cheap like $0.69/lb on sale, they are great for a couple meals and a pot 'o soup.

I've got two hams in a brine to be smoked for this week...I had to cut the shanks off to fit them in the bucket.....I'll be using them after they are smoked to make some of this

Back
Top Bottom