Brunswick Stew - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > Leftovers/Other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Brunswick Stew

Anyone have a recipe for Brunswick Stew using pulled pork? I had a good one from Paula Deen's magazine about 2 years ago but lost it. Thanks. Roger

Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Brunswick Stew

Assuming you have searched her recipe base on the Food TV channel? I had a bunch of Brunswick stew recipes saved up but the HD went nuts and erased itself. Or the 11 year old grandchild may have done it. Who knows? Most of the formulas I have seen on how to make the stuff look a little funky. Surely some other well heeled foodie bought the book too. Somebody will post it shortly no doubt.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
BBQ NOOB

I checked her recipe on the Food TV Channel and from what I "remember" it wasn't the same. But being 60, I can't guarntee that!I had some frozen pulled pork I was going to use and thought Brunswick Stew sounded good. I guess I could make Kentucky Burgoo with it. Thanks Roger
Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
BBQ NOOB

This is the recipe I have used a few times:

"Get a Husband Brunswick Stew"

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (3 pound) whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded
3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 green bell pepper
3 (14.75 ounce) cans cream style corn
Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onions and celery until soft. Mix in the pork and beef, and cook until evenly browned. Do not drain.

2. Transfer the pork and beef mixture to a large stock pot over low heat. Stir in the shredded chicken, tomatoes and their liquid, ketchup, and barbeque sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Place the whole green pepper into the mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours, or until thickened.

3. Stir the cream style corn into the stew mixture. Continue cooking 1 hour, or to desired consistency. Remove the green pepper; chop and return to the stew or discard.

This is a very good recipe. I decided yesterday to make Brunswick Stew but I decided to make a few changes.

Yesterday I smoked a 4 lb. pork butt and a 4 lb. whole chicken. I put them in the freezer over night to cool. This morning I shredded both to replace the meat in the recipe. Instead of the olive oil I diced 6 slices of bacon and cook them until they were crisp. I removed the bacon with a slotted spoon. I sauteed the onions and celery in the bacon grease.

I replaced canned tomatoes with 3 cans of Rotel. You can use all mild, or add a can or two of the hot Rotel. Just a word of warning, if you've never used Rotel the hot really adds quite a bit of heat.

I don't care for ketchup and I make my own BBQ sauce. I used my sauce for the ketchup in the recipe and added 8 oz. of tomato sauce. I also added about 24 oz. of chicken stock because it was a little too thick.

The recipe calls for 3 cans of creamed corn. I like lima beans in mine, so I used one can of creamed corn and bag of frozen succotash.

The smoked meat made all the difference in the world.

Let me know what you think.
navchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

Have any pictures?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Well just the phraseology was enough to make me hongry. Who needs any steenken pictures. Dont make me come up there. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
BBQ NOOB

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I'm a little challenged with that and am going to have to get smart about it.

Let it be known though, we just finished dinner and it was pretty good. I will be using smoked pork and chicken in the future.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

Brunswick Stew

I have made Brunswick twice now. I just really don't like the texture that I get in the finished product.

The recipes all look great.

I made it for a potluck at Church last weekend. I watched people pick up a big ladle of stew and put it right back.

There is something about how pulled pork acts in a pot of tomato base liquid. It just doesn't mix well with other ingredients and the my finished product taste ok but doesn't look appealing.

Or maybe I haven't made the right one yet
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H.
I have made Brunswick twice now. I just really don't like the texture that I get in the finished product.

The recipes all look great.

I made it for a potluck at Church last weekend. I watched people pick up a big ladle of stew and put it right back.

There is something about how pulled pork acts in a pot of tomato base liquid. It just doesn't mix well with other ingredients and the my finished product taste ok but doesn't look appealing.

Or maybe I haven't made the right one yet
That's one of the reasons I don't put ketchup in mine. The Rotel mixes pretty well and the chicken stock dilutes what tomatoes there are. I also only pull a little of the pork and mainly just cut it into small chunks. I like the texture of the chunked pork much better than the pulled. It holds up better and doesn't get lost in the sauce.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #10

Well I dont think yall are getting a grasp in that when a person desires to eat stuff like this..there is only abut five thousand versions. Sure somebody be able to stumble over one which would soothe a delicate palette. The one me and my yankee pal from Iowa used to eat on cold days from Red White and Blues BBQ Joint seem to be last weeks left over bbq in a beef broth...little maters maybe. Now I could normally eat that but they served sweet cornbread as from E. Texas. Pound cake clashes with it. Etc. They also have yankee chili with kidney beans. That yankee boy eat that up like a piglet eats slop. Never could understand that deal.