smoking sausages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordon1

Senior Cook
I tired to search and google. no real luck. throwing a few italian sausages on with the ribs later. about how long? should I do anything (rub etc) to them? they are store bought spicy italian.

thinking hour to hour and a half? temps been about 215-230 all day.

I haven't know an Italian sausage except for a fatty. I took that to 165 to 170 degrees. I would think 1 1/2 would be about right. I'm sure someone who does these will be around shortly.

gordon said:
I tired to search and google. no real luck. throwing a few italian sausages on with the ribs later. about how long? should I do anything (rub etc) to them? they are store bought spicy italian.

thinking hour to hour and a half? temps been about 250-220 all day.
They are about 9" normally, sometimes you can get them as foot longs, but I prefer the 9" ones as they fit in the buns better. :LOL:

An hour to an hour and a half should be plenty if your cooker is in the 220° - 250° F zone. I like to throw them into a tomato sauce bath, similar to a beer bath for brats, I cook them on the grate, then when they are cooked, I put a 9" x 13" pan on the grate with 5 cans of tomato sauce and a couple of onions diced up in it, a sprinkle of Sweet Basil, Marjoram, dried Mint, Parsley, Chives, some Cayenne and Paprika to taste. Give it a stir to mix it all together, them pop the Italian sausage in there and let it get another thirty minutes of smoke and heat, stirring occasionally.

The reason I do this is two fold, 1) we think the sausage tastes great this way. 2) The tamato sauce gets used the day after as pizza sauce, and any leftover sauce goes into a soup on day three or four.

I smoked some fresh Polish sausage I made.
It was about 2 hrs. Internal temp of 170*

Any where from between two or three hours..If Im serving them in a roll, Ill lean more towards the two hour mark..If Im slicing them for an appitizer, Ill go more towards three...

Best way to handle raw sausage links on the grill is how the big boys do it at the sausage cookoffs. Wrap em up snugly with cheap bacon held in place with toothpicks and do the slow grill thing. When the bacon is nice n crispy its ready to eat. Now do not get cute and use the high dollar thick sliced bacon cuz sometimes it take that longer to cook than the sausage. Would take a wild guess it take about an hour at 250 or so..being sure to give em a spin at the half way mark.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom