Sausage gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I was thinking of making sausage gravy for a 'brunch' this morning. I never made it before. Any suggestions on how to?

Brown sausage in pan, remove from pan with slotted spoon reserving 2-3 tbls of fat in pan, if needed, add oil or butter to get to 2-3. Add 1/4 cup of all purpose flour and whisk constantly until flour has nutty aroma (1-2 minutes), making sure not to burn the flour.

Add 2 cups of cold milk, gradually. Continue whisking until milk and flour are combined, add back the sausage and stir until you achieve the consistency you desire.

Remember you are making a roux/gravy; it will be at it's thickest when it boils.

OR...you can google sausage gravy and get about 300 pages of recipes. :LOL: :LOL:

I do it almost exacly as Bruce has described except I bring to a boil over med heat. Then reduce the heat to low and cover for about 5-6 min.

Then uncover, stir and eat.

It becomes an art of knowing how much milk to add to the roux to end up with the cosistency that you like.

Sausage Gravy

1 lb bulk sausage
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan. Stir in the butter until melted. Add flour, and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until light brown. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in cooked sausage. Reduce heat, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. If gravy becomes too thick, stir in a little more milk.

Southern Sausage Gravy

8 ounces breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons shortening or lard
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
salt and pepper, to taste
dash cayenne pepper, optional

Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 tablespoons shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet. Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.
Serves 4 to 6.

Back
Top Bottom