Makin Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the guy seems to have a fetish on nitrates. Mortons TQ used for the entire salt ration will work just as well as the emotional gymnastics. It also has the timed release version of Nitrates called Nitrites. A vacuum marinator knock the soak time down to a couple of hours or a day or so to be on the safe side. Never seen it packed up with raw veggies like that. The guy drinks shitty beer. Thats all I can see wrong with it. He also needs to invest in a cuttting board. He is ruining a knife. He forgot the black pepper too. Good point. I think bacon should be cold smoked since its going to be finished on fire. No need to hot smoke it on the front end that I can see.

I have had no problems with mine, but what you don't use right away, freeze. I would not keep it past a year though.... Like bacon would last a year!!!!!! LOL....

I agree with the cold smoked, that is what I did with mine. About 8 to 10 hours at around 150°. Then boost it up to 300 the last hour or so to kill the bacteria. Make sure you reach an internal temp of around 160° I think. You may want to check the temp, I am not too sure, been a while for me.

Last edited:
Still dont understand why its important to break 160 on the front end if its destined to be cooked later. Cold smoked sausage seems to do ok without the pre cooking. What am I missing here?

It is just to be safe. Technically you can eat cured bacon with out cooking it. But i like mine extra crispy, not raw.

This young man seems to brine it for two days then cold smokes it at less than 120 for six hours. That sounds pretty rational. Notice he also dont seem to put any cure on it.

How to Make DIY Bacon

Which no cure at them times and temps aint rational for pork..so I take that part back. Believe I would use a curing brine in that scenario. 1 cup TQ and 1 cup Sugar per gallon of water should work.

Gotcha thanks. How to make the cure mixture? Where did all the liquid come from in the photos? Did you use a brine or did the belly cough it up?

If you are talking about mine, that was all the liquid that was pulled out of the meat itself. You can drain it every day if you want, but you would have to put more curing agent on it everytime you drain it.

What recipe to give you will rely on what type of bacon you would like.

As for a brine, no I would not use one, this is why. You are making a cure to take moister out, brinning it will just add more moister into the meat. I mean they are simple recipes.

2cups brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup (add more if to solid)

Mix to make spreadable. Spread over bacon both sides. Place pork belly with mixture, into 2 gallon zip lock bag. Put bag into refrigerator, flipping once every 24 hours, for at least 8 days. for extra flavor keep in refrigerator up to 18 days, flipping atleast once every 24 hours.

Liquid will accumulate in bag, after 5 days drain if you like. You will have to rinse the pork belly for atleast 3-5 minutes in cold tap water. Once rinsed reapply curing mixture, place back in cleaned out bag, and place bag back into refrigerator. Continue to flip every 24 hours.

It is pretty simple. If you have questions just ask.

I'd just like to toss my 2 cents in here. I cook a lot of pork belly. I use it for mac n cheese and beans. I cure them with pink salt and pork rub. With that said, I really don't think it's a good iidea to let that meat languish in what we call the "danger zone" anywhere between 41-135. It's not safe in that range for more than a couple hours. Any more than six, and you are just asking for food Bourne illnesses. Cured or not, cook pork belly at the regular bbq temp, or cold smoke if you can. Otherwise don't do it at all. Seriously, you could kill someone.

I'd just like to toss my 2 cents in here. I cook a lot of pork belly. I use it for mac n cheese and beans. I cure them with pink salt and pork rub. With that said, I really don't think it's a good iidea to let that meat languish in what we call the "danger zone" anywhere between 41-135. It's not safe in that range for more than a couple hours. Any more than six, and you are just asking for food Bourne illnesses. Cured or not, cook pork belly at the regular bbq temp, or cold smoke if you can. Otherwise don't do it at all. Seriously, you could kill someone.

Thanks for the input. Thought this was a fairly interesting link on the topic for those who like to read stuff.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...at-preparation/bacon-and-food-safety/ct_index

Back
Top Bottom