Italian Sausage Recipe ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My itialian sausage recipe is pretty basic..ground butt, salt, pepper, garlic and fennel seed. I also add ice water as I mix it. Make little patties and cook them as you go to adjust seasoning. It always seems to me that it takes a lot of salt and fennel to get the flavor I like. You can aslo add red pepper flakes to taste.

Those proportions sounds good to me…but where is the garlic?…If you use the ground fennel you’ll need to cut back….I’ve been adding fresh basil and sun dried tomatoes to my Italian sausage…..something to think about.....I need to dig up the meatball recipe...but IMHO meatballs need breadcrumbs....

My moms meatballs....

a few slices of bread soaked in milk, drained and busted up into little pieces, a couple eggs, salt, pepper, finely diced onion, garlic powder, itialian seasoned bread crumbs, parsley, parm. cheese...I dont really know perportions..I usually just get a basic mix, taste it and go from there...

If using them in a sauce (which would actually turn it into a gravy technicly), precook them in the oven befor dropping them in. Ive also added the drippings to the sauce, just watch the grease...

I love the flavor the pork trimmings add to my sauce, but hate the shrapnel left behind by all the little bones and cartalidge. I at one time, thought about putting it in cheesecloth..

I grind the pork on course, add the seasonsings and a cup of water per 5 lbs of pork, mix thoroughly by hand and then run it all through the grinder again.

Sometimes I use casings, some times I go the bulk-sausage route, better for sauces and patties.

Keep the pork near freezing at all times. I use plenty of fennel, red pepper, paprika and real garlic and Kosher salt.

Well this reminds me of whut old Rytek was rumored to have said one time: "If you want eyetalian sausage..it got to have fennel in there." Parphrasing of course. He wrote the book so you know its right. Take some sausage you like and add fennel. That would be the way to approach it I think.

bigwheel

Reaper Wrote:
10 lbs coarse ground (3/8in plate) pork butt 80/20
6tbls canning salt
4tbls coarse ground black pepper
1/2cup ice water
hog casing
NO Fennel

OK, so we got ground pork, salt & pepper. No disrespect, but it sounds more the recipe for McRibs than Italian sausage.

:shock:

Take cover Big Wheel, you're about to take a direct hit

[smilie=a_withstupid.gif]

Reaper wrote:
and you probably put BBQ sauce on smoother the taste of the meat you cook 12 hours because that's where all the flavor is and if you did it rite you would not need sauce.

And you stuff with a grinder for a nice smeared effect

My family's sausage does not need fennel to cover up the taste of the meat

I posted a responce to a thread and was welcomed with insults by two inept jerks

Mitch

Whew!
Since this room is rated G, all I got to say is Thank You Very Much.

Reaper said:
and if it is on the internet it's got to be true, so on this line of thinking if I add fennel to Bratwurst or Black Pudding, I have Italian Sausage, that is ludicrous, it is my guess you have never been to the south side of Chicago and as we all would agree sausage recipes are regional.

A Polish man wrote the book on Italian sausage??????????

I shared an old family recipe made by Italians.

Regards,

Mitch

Mitch, I don't think dats or BW were dissing you, just making a statement. You look like you came down there throats on a post. As far as a Polish man writing a book on Italian sausage, nope wrong. He wrote a book all about sausage with lots of recipes for all different types of sausage. You don't have to be Italian to make Italian sausage. The recipe you posted does look kind of plain. JMHO

Look in the Meat and Beef recipe section for the meatball recipe I posted. Its the best.

bigwheel

HFD26 said:
Does anyone have a good Italian sausage recipe? I want to make it in 5 or 10 pound batches. Also a meatball recipe.
Thank's

Well I aint much into cold bloody meat so I go to 150..but I aint normal by any means. In fact I much rather debone it and cut boneless steaks to go on the grill and save the ribs for another day. Thats whut I do with em on most occasions. You aint never had no better beef ribs.

bigwheel

Well sure a propa amount of fennel dumped into brats turn it Eyetalian so got to agree with you on that. Do not think it work with Blood Pudding but to utilize the analogy sure a person could make up a batch which did not contain blood..but it would be difficult to call it by the same name with a straight face. The recipe you posted which I'm sure is delicious..and thanks so much for posting it.. have not much in it to make it distinctly Eyetalain at least in the eyes of most hick sausage hobbyists who seldom frequent the old world enclaves of S. Chicago. Leaving off the plethoria of peppas in the preparation process..It could just as easily pass for Iowa Breakfast Farm sausage. Perhaps it the midwest type influences which has been impacting the immigrants to that area. Suspect a person would need to go to New Yawk City to get the true scoop on this proposition. They got real Eyetalians up there ya know:) Thanks.

bigwheel

Reaper said:
and if it is on the internet it's got to be true, so on this line of thinking if I add fennel to Bratwurst or Black Pudding, I have Italian Sausage, that is ludicrous, it is my guess you have never been to the south side of Chicago and as we all would agree sausage recipes are regional.

A Polish man wrote the book on Italian sausage??????????

I shared an old family recipe made by Italians.

Regards,

Mitch

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom