From Chub to Brat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GimpyMagoo

Discombobulated BBQ'r
I've got about 60lbs of Pork Sausage Chubs and want to turn a few pounds into Stuffed sausage. Brats would be best.

For several weeks i've been trying to figure out the spices in the chubs so I can compensate when mixing up brat spices but I always end up over powering the taste buds. I've tried so many times I think my one set of taste buds and one brain is clouded at this point. I could use some ideas.

If you where (or maybe you have already) to add your brat spices to the pork sausage that comes in a chub. Like Johnsonville or your typical local brand, you know the type I'm talking about right? what would your recipe look like?

This is what I started with:
5 lb Sausage Chub
5 tsp Kosher Salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbl Ground Coriander
1 Tbl Ground Sage
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tbl Dry Mustard
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 cup cold water

I've adjusted over several attempts and it always comes out to... "Brautty" if that makes sense.

Ideas?

Well actually no..the too brautty dont make much sense if your trying to make brats..or maybe I'm missing something. Big issue would be to try to figger out how salty is the base? The overall salt ration for my taste buds is 1.5 tsp per pound of meat. If you can reach that goal using 1 tsp per pound and dont get it over salty would say your home. The aromatics can be adjusted to taste. I dont see anything too troublesome on the ingredient list cept that would be way too much Nutmeg for Tex Mex type folks..lol. I like a pinch. Just want to give them a tease not a mouthful of the stuff. I also like black peppa much more that what is showing..but that maybe a person preference type thing. Would also be apt to swap places on the Rosemary. 2 tsp fresh equal 1 tsp dried. That stuff is highly powerful most especially the dried version. Sub out good stout beer for the water. Will make the flavors come plumb alive. Might also consider the Sage. Do the base already have sage for example? I dont appreciate much sage unless its for breakfast sausage. Little MSG will perk it up too..but will intensify the salty flavor. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Thanks for the remarks Bigwheel. Salt is something I have been playing with.
I have no idea what spices are in the base aside from tasting and trying to figure out what the supplier put in it.

I've cut the rosemary considerably as well as the salt. I've been playing with the nutmeg and sage too.
I have unground spices and grind myself. I'm still playing with adjusting based on whole vs fresh ground.
I wish I could find some idea as to what "spices" means on the label - lol

my to Brauty comment is kinda like a good brat but X5 on the spices. the Brat taste is good but waaay to strong.

My next batch will be adjusted based on a country spice blend as a base spice mix, as a guess. I will adjust MY spice mix base don that and see what happens.
My notes are so discombobulated at this point I've hit reset.

Ok sounds like some brain damage..lol. Why dont you just stuff up the base? Lot of folks make a good living like that. Next time start out with fresh pork so it give a stable launching pad to work from etc. Nearly bet if you case up what you got..wrap it in cheap bacon and slow grill it would win any sausage contest within a big radius. Just guessing an hypothesizing on some of these aspects of course. Don't make me come up there. Thanks. Last time I sent kin to KS they got to go to Heaven. Have always tried to avoid the place if you seen what I'm saying here.

LOL...

I have about 9 Fatties in the freezer now and still have a few feet to go before I see the bottom of my freezer. This stuff multiplies I swear!
I kinda went overboard I think but... it was only .99 cents a pound I could resist in buying all they had - TWICE - lol

Thanks for the clearer heads prevail prospective.

I know this all sounds so silly but seriously I've tasted it so much my palate has evolved to the point that it thinks this Chub sausage is my baseline.

Time to take a break I guess and relax. Not like it wont last 14 years in my freezer or anything ;)

Ok well see where your coming from here Brother. You've thrown a formidable sausage craving on some of us'uns surely..lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom