Canadian Bacon & Pea Meal Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Canadian Bacon Cure ingredients for 25 lbs

5 quarts ice water 38*-40*
1 Cup 2Tb of Sweetener (Sugar,Honey,Brown Sugar, Molasses) what ever u like
¼ Cup instacure #1
¾ Cup of Salt (Kosher or non-iodized)

Trim the fat and debone the loins (I buy boneless loin), if it’s a whole loin cut into 3rds
Dissolve all the ingredients in the cold water if need add ice cubs to bring down the temp, Mix well
After the brine is made inject the loins with the brine 10% of their green weight
Place the loins in the remaining Brine a place in a fridge for 4-6 days
Remove from brine and shower with hot water
Pat the loins dry and let air dry

Place loins in a preheated smoke house 130* with dampers wide open; hold for 4 hours without Smoke
Gradually increase the temp to 150*smoking for 3 hours
After 3 hours stop smoking and bring the temp to 160* hold until the internal temp reaches 142*
After the internal temp reaches 142* remove from smokehouse and shower with cold water till internal temp is 110*.
Cool and place in a fridge until ready to fry.

(For pea meal bacon do not smoke. Remove from brine and roll in cornmeal.)
I use a food grade 5 gal bucket to brine. 2 whole loins cut up fit great standing on end. And a plate works good to hold them down.

You are more than welcome to tweak the cooking temps but I have found that the suggested temps should be followed for a better product. When you are smoking cured meats unlike BBQ you are not looking for a smoke ring, rather you want a uniform color and smoke flavor throughout the meat.. If you introduce the smoke before the outside of the meat is dry you won’t get a nice uniform color throughout the meat. Also the smoke flavor will be more pronounced on the outside and not the the rest of the meat. There are other things to consider but I won’t bother to go thru them here. If anyone is interested IMO send me a message I’ve been doing a lot of meat curing and smoking lately. This recipe came from “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curingâ€

alrighty.. I'mma given this a wack.... Thanks to Wittdog walking me through my initial hesitation.... I got the feeeling that it's one of those things that just seem like abig mystery until you try it, so that's what I did, thanks to phone call with Dave...

got 3 pork butts in five gallon bucket..

used
12 qts of water,
1 cup real maple syrup,
1 cup light brown sugar,
1/2 cup instacure,
and 1 1/2 cup of kosher salt....

gunna check it on March 7th, then March 11th..

cant wait for the Pig Candy in two weeks

yum yum good :D

just dropped 80 pounds of boned pork butts in the tank... hope they turn out as good as the last one.. got a few ideas for em , as well...will call you shortly with details of this happenstance...s

just " turned" em over and rotated.. will take out of cure on Tuesday, let dry a day, then smoke Wednesday...Thanks, Dave!!! I might have to name this stuff Witt Famous Bacon!!!!

Back
Top Bottom